1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Quality 4" Pop-up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I did a search and it looks like the general concensus was that the Rainbird 1800 was a good overall guality/cost product. Any new information regarding any other head that may be better. I am replacing around 100 heads and I am looking for good bang for buck. It is important that these snap back down, don't know if one manuf is better than others?
  2. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

why are you using 4".... just curious because i dont install 4" at all... but i have never had any problem with rainbirds at all.. big problems with toro and hunter....
  3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I've used and repaired every 4' popup out there. 1804 seems to hold up the best. If you want strong retraction the 1804 sam head is the best. it has a stronger retraction spring plus you conserve water as well. Just make sure you have adequate pressure. it takes at least 30 lbs to push it up. I've redone whole yards with the sam prs heads and done meter readings before and after the job and the water savings is huge.
  4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Use the comercial grade rain bird products. Dont buy the crap from lowes/homedepot.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The 1804 is definitly the best spray on the market. Rainbird has the wiper seal figured out.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You install nothing but 12" pops???:laugh:

A 4" pop-up is quite adequate for Bermudagrass in our area and 6" is used for fescues.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I know a handful of contractors who prefer the 6" pops over 4" pops. Out here we have a mostly ryegrass mixture that is almost never cut over 4", so 4" pops are just fine in my opinion.

I also hate digging deeper holes :)
  8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm kind of partial to the hunter pro-spray. not that rainbird is worse. and in most cases, the RB nozzles are superior.

if only hunter could figure out a good nozzle. (I-25 and above they're great, but below that, rainbird has them beat. rotors and sprays)

9. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

no i use nothing but 6" pu....
  10. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

best bang for buck rainbird 1804 4" p/u
    1804 go down better than the 1800's