Good quality hand tools?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Weekendwrench, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Weekendwrench

Weekendwrench LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am having a hard time finding good quality hand tools. (shovels, rakes, etc.) Can someone point me in the direction of where to buy good quality hand tools? Preferable fiberglass handled. I am willing to pay for them if I find them. The nurseries I deal with have OK tools, but want way too much for them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Fiskar's and am happy with them so far.
    VO

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

sears , ,,,,,,,

4. lovemachine2

lovemachine2 LawnSite Member

King Of Spades. we have many spades , shovels , rakes. No comparison. They will last a lifetime and are well built. little pricey but, they are very heavy duty and will not break.

5. StoneFaced

StoneFaced LawnSite Member

I'm pretty fussy when it comes to my tools. Some tools are worth spending the extra cash on. A good quality edging/nursery spade will take a lot of abuse, and save your body some abuse when compared to any other from a chain store. I can lay an edge on a bed w/ it, better than any bed edger will do, cut through tree roots, even asphalt. Try that w/ any wood handle el cheepo, and you will feel it right in your spine. It's not only the life of the tool, but also the result you can get as well as the effect they will have on your body. My spade is like an extension of my arm and by far my favorite hand tool.

6. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

Rigid......

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I use AmLeonard. they have the composite handled tools, and steel handled tools, like the king of spades....Lifetime warranty on all AMLeonard branded tools, and the day glow orange color ensures that none are left in the pile or left on the job...

And at least according to their catalog they are Made in the USA

8. land_scaper70

land_scaper70 LawnSite Member

Ridgid and Craftsman = lifetime warranty. I just took back two broken Craftsman leaf rakes the other day and got two brand new ones for a total of $0 dollars (Priceless). I believe you can do the same with Ridgid tools.

Right off their web site:
    What is Covered

RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of material and workmanship defects.
    How Long Coverage Lasts

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID tool.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

So if a shovel handle breaks while you are using it as a pry bar. do you return it as a a material defect, or do you own up to it and buy a new tool since you were using the tool in the manner it was not intended?

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Structron for my shovels and rakes and such, mostly the fiberglass handled ones.