Good quality "OTC" seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BostonBull, Mar 19, 2011.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to see what is readily available at a big box, Agway, Blue Seal, etc for QUALITY seed? I prefer a TTTF.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I personally expect all seed to display accurate germinatin rates on the container/bag. So the other aspect is to look at the kind and variety of each kind, listed on the pkg. If you like the kinds listed then look at the % of each, and see if there is a lot of stuff you don't want...

My biggest problem with box stores is gettin the 3 way mixture w/out the anual rye... I can get pure KGB, but not pure mix... Oveseeding in the spring is fine to have the AR as a cover crop and usu. becomes unnoticeable as the season wears on...

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a "big box" store but what about Lesco/John Deere Landscapes? I like their TTTF. I usually use the Teammates Plus which is a TTTF, Ryegrass, Bluegrass blend and their price is less than you'll find at any big box store. I did a lookup and they have a store in Haverhill at 175 Ferry Rd.

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

When i said "big box" I just menat something semi local, or not over the net. i was hoping to lay some down this weekend. Ill check out the JD dealer, never even knew we had one so close.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it's not the John Deere equipment dealer. It's Lesco that was bought out by John Deere Landscapes. They supply a lot of seed, fertilizer etc. to landscaper, municipalities and golf courses...kinda like a warehouse-type place.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think Scotts has the best quality. Not cheap, of course. And I don't actually care for the water-retaining seed coating--might help in certain circumstances. I suspect you will find the lowest percent weed seed and modern disease resistant varieties.

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, John Deere Landscapes is not only in Haverhill, there's other locations your area. They're listed below with the phone numbers. Good luck!

Peabody (Store 486)
    G. Renault - Manager
    978-977-2777

North Hampton (Store 649)
    Robert Olivier - Manager
    603-964-2933

Manchester (Store 587)
    Christopher Barton - Manager
    603-647-4138

Nashua (Store 676)
    Nicholas Warren - Manager
    603-882-1368