Good Samaritan...Bad Businessman

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 28, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Alright Guys...Let me have it!

I am an honest person who trying to do good things and treat people well. I got stung for $2,200 last year because I do not have clients sign contracts. As of today, I am about to lose $3,300 to (3) different clients, because I did not have them sign contracts.

Client #1 - another LCO

Client #2 - three year client that said they did not authorize the work.

Client #3 - my Landlord at the warehouse I rent. Said the invoice was too high.

Next year, I will join the ranks and complete no work without signed approval and payment instructions. I hate the thought of working like this.

It just blows me away when people intentionally deceive and steal from me.

2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Dude. Charge them everytime you come if they don't want to sign a contract. Sue them. And make sure they are there when you cut.

3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

A verbal contract is still a contract, though harder to prove. Get your money.

4. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Update...

Part of the invoices were for accounting services rendered to antother LCO and the majority of the remainder was for multi-day landscaping projects.

I will contact the attorney, but I hate the thought of taking it to the next level.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

It has to be done my friend.

6. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Most of my customers work so they can't be there when I mow. If they don't pay put a lien on their house.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Don't you think it sounds a little awkward having another competitor doing work at their house?

8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have 63 accounts with no contracts except one big commercial account and have only been stiffed about $200 in 14 years. But of course this is the exception. I don't like contracts, they keep me from dropping the pita's whenever I want to.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i wish i lived closer, but not too close, i mean....indiana?? anyhow, i would show you first hand how to act like a total piece of crap and get your money.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

with the amount of losses he has, maybe he better pay you to come visit and do a little cost recovery for him (don't forget to pack the shovel) :D