Good shop Tachometer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by notforprofit, Jul 3, 2004.

1. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Does anyone know where I can find a decent shop tachometer without spending a fortune? What brands? What do you prefer: optical ,inductive, vibration, etc. ? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

2. Redneck'n

Redneck'n LawnSite Member

i use a tiny tach i got from briggs.. it a little digital tach. i like it.. never gives me any worries.. i've had it for about 4 years.. actually have 2 of them.. i got them when i was working for Sears.. i think they run for about 30-50 bux...
    has 2 clips on it. one you ground, the other you clip it around the spark plug lead...

you might check around on e-bay.. also, i think Stens sells them..but i may be wrong on that...

3. notforprofit

Redneck'n-

Thanks for the reply. I checked w/sears-they claim they haven't sold tachs. in years!!(?) Seems like it's a hard item to find locallly. Looks like mail order is the way to go.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the small engine shops would be able to order a tiny tach for you. I believe you can also order off their website.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

6. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

B & S also sells a small vibra-tach. You place it on the running engine & it has a small wire that you extend. Real easy to use & accurate. Less than 10 bucks. I use it all the time.

7. SER

SER LawnSite Member

Molerj;
    I have the same Tach, but dont know how to use it! What do you read after you extend the wire on this?
    SER

8. notforprofit

Molej and SER-

Thanks (to all) for the replys. I used one of the vibra tachs on my machine-pretty ingenius gizmo. However, I found that at low rpm's (under say 1800) its accuracy or my ability to read it was poor. In addition when setting high idle, I found it was off by almost 100 rpms (3600-3700)- checked against and induction tach. It was dead nuts between 1800-3500. The fellow with the induction tach said that the wire might have had a small bend in it that had been straightened out ( vibra tach was a borrowed unit) and that this will sreww up the readings form the point of the bend on.
    The Tinytachs I saw were very small units meant to be mounted on a machine. I'm looking for a hand held unit that will simply clamp to the plug wire. Redneck'n- is the unit you speak of a hand held or machinr mounted unit?
    Ser- just turn the dial on the top of the unit back and forth. When the wire's vibration is at its greatest amplitude or swing, that's your rpm reading (I think the dial also reads cycles/second).

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

To use the tiny tach just wind the pickup wire in a coil that will fit under the unit. Use a wire tie at each end to hold the coil in place. We have been using the same unit for several years in our shop.

Oldtimer

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you are talking about the black plastic round tach that looks like a dish. The virb-Tach works like this. Start the engine up. Place the virb-tach on the ENGINE BLOCK. Slowly turn the dial as you do so the wire sticks out the side. Watch the wire (aka probe), it will vibrate back and forth. At some point it will stop vibrating. At this point the resident frequency of the probe has matched the virbation frequency on the engine. Then with out moving the dail lift it off the engnige and read the RPM on the dail. These things are made for service work only and are not ment to be mounted to an engine. I will try to find a picture of a Virb-Tach to show you so we know we are talking about the same thing.