Good shorts for lawn care work....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have always bought cargo type shorts to work in and they dont last that long doing this type of work, but I was in Bass pro shops and bought some carhartt B25 work shorts, they are made of the same 12oz. duck that they make the bibs from, they are very tough and will last for a long time, and only $30. I am looking to see if they make a T-shirt out of the 12oz. duck, Does anyone know if they do? That shirt would be great! Anyone looking for a good pair of work shorts that hold up well, go for the carhartts!

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started this business, I wore various brands of shorts. I got tired of getting off in the evening to see how much blood had run down in my shoes as the result of flying debris from my trimmer hitting my legs!! Not to mention the half bushel of clippings also down in my shoes.

Now, I don't wear shorts.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have worn Carhartt B25 work shorts for many years. However, I find that they DO NOT last very long -- quite short life-span compared to Dickie work pants. The duck cloth will begin to fray after about four months. I have yet to get a "season," that is the warm part of the year, out of one pair. The "shorts" season is about mid-May to early October, and I usually need about 1 1/2 pair to get through (yea ... sounds strange on 1/2 pair - no, not just one leg either - but if I start the year with a new pair, I will get about half life out of the second one). Offhand I would say my Dickie work pants will wear about three to four times longer.

4. GOOSEHANSON

GOOSEHANSON LawnSite Member

you got the Carhartts right but only jeans...I ain't that tough to get wacked consistantly with flying debris...maybe when I can hire someone else to do my weed-eating and edging...

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Dickie work pants too. Only about $18.00 at Walmart.

I stopped wearing shorts because my legs were getting torn up from trimming.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I wear white painters shorts and gray lightweight Hanes T-shirts. The painters shorts are comfortable and long lasting. They are a little more expensive than denim shorts, but they more than make up for it in comfort alone. Most paint supply stores here in Florida carry them. About $20 per pair.

7. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

How do you use a string trimmer and wear shorts????????????????

8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I love wearing jeans when its cool enough but I'd rather take some pain to shins than to be burning up all day! I just treat every pebble to the skin like a guy taking shots to the chest at the batting cage. Oh yeah! That feels good! Is that all you got!? Happy Gilmore baby!

9. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I keep a pair of these on the truck
    Dont need them too much since I got a helper
    http://www.safelegs.com/

10. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wear Columbia shorts from bass pro. I usually can get a season out of them, but I have about 6 or 7 pair. I mostly wear shorts all summer unless I have a lot of shrubs to trim and I always wear pants if I'm using the chainsaw.