Good, Solid mower for non-commercial use prices & recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddixon7, Oct 9, 2013.

1. The Grass Master

The Grass Master LawnSite Member

I too am part of the club that suggests a quality low hour commercial unit. I bet he would love a nice used Walker GHS. I currently have one for sale. 2002 MCGHS 42" deck and 9.5 bushel catcher box. It has only 472 home owner hours.

2. DawsonLC

DawsonLC LawnSite Member

He can also check out Scag's Freedom Z, it comes in 52 and 61 in cut. I use the 52 quite a bit
    in my business and have had no problems with it.

3. cdjones

cdjones LawnSite Member

I would suggest a gravely 48, 52, 0r 60 hd series zero turn i have one with 1300 hours still runs well only normal maintenance has been needed it has a 24 hp kawi engine...heavy gauge deck...decent 3100 hydrogear pumps...etc...there are faster mowers but its built well for its price...got mine for around $5800 brand new.

4. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I would look at these:

BobCat Fast-Cat: $6700
    - 52" deck
    - Kawasaki FX 21hp engine
    - HydroGear ZT-2800 trans

Gravely Pro-Turn 52: $6500
    - 52" deck
    - Kawasaki FS 23hp engine
    - HydroGear ZT-3200 trans

Snapper Pro S150xt: $6500
    - 52" iCD deck
    - Kawasaki FX 23hp engine
    - HydroGear ZT-5400 trans

Ferris ProCut S: $8700
    - 61" deck
    - Kawasaki FS 23hp engine
    - HydroGear BDP-16cc single hydro

Scag STHM: $8900
    - 61" velocity deck
    - Kohler Command 23hp engine
    - Sauer-Sundstrand single hydro.

Out of the 3 ZTRs I would hands down get the Snapper. While the last two aren't real ZTRs they should be easy enough to maneuver and are virtually bulletproof (specially the STHM). Both 3-wheel riders are also very easy to master, comfortable to run and super simple to maintain. Trust me, if he gets the STHM, he'll keep it for 20 years (if he lives that long).

5. tboyle21

tboyle21 LawnSite Member

Bought a new Scag Tiger Cub with 48" Advantage deck 8-9 years ago. The hour meter broke so don't know hours but it is still going strong. A few months ago I needed another mower, so I found a used Scag Turf Tiger with 48" deck and 152 hours. They are essentially the same machine except a Velocity deck on the newer machine. Paid $ 4,000 for the new machine. In my opinion a good price.

I was working with a budget but wanted something that would last. I looked at residential ZTR's in the same price range and they looked like junk. On some occasions I tend to bounced off trees, need to do a little bush hogging, or slide down a wet hill and the residential ZTR's looked like something would bend or break.

Scag is a good ZTR, but there are many other strong commercial machines out there. I would definitely purchase a low hour used commercial ZTR because they are designed, engineered and built better and stronger. Probably better resale with the low hours that you will be putting on them.

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a used tiger cat.

7. rdwittmann

rdwittmann LawnSite Member

Take a look at Dixon and Hustler. Pay attention to engine options. That will make a big difference on the longevity of the mower.

8. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

After running my 2013 Lazer Z, he decided he wanted a commercial mower and not a homeowner or entry commercial model. However, since he is using it at his farm, he couldn't stomach buying a new one.

He isn't brand particular, he just wants a heavy duty machine.

He ended up buying a Scag Turf Tiger with a Vanguard Big Block. It is used and I don't know how much he paid for it, but knowing what he wanted, I know it has to be in great condition (he wouldn't buy anything with more that 400 hours on it).

Probably the best mower he could buy for what he is going to use it for. Tough mower. Quick evacuation deck for mowing over crap. Big engine.