Good source for comparing equipment pricing and specs?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by alldayrj, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I paid 5K for the VTS system on Iron Planet and got almost half back after 1000 hours on the track system.

The number is strictly depreciation. Other than snapping a chain on the 440 I had no issues with the machine.

The sales tax is factored in to the purchase price, what I posted is what I paid.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Hey fellas. Anyone know where i could find a cab door for my mustang 2044 skidsteer? Could i retrofit a door from another machine to fit mine?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I liked it also, but I don't see how they could charge 15K for it. I think new that should have been about half that, with reasonable parts prices and I think they would have done better with that. Overall, I got to run a "tracked machine" for 1000 hours pretty cheap. I learned a lot with that VTS. I found out how important a CTL can be, even if you live in high desert conditions.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

So money aside , would you rather a vts machine or dedicated ctl?

5. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

what's the main use for it? Do you mind the extra weight (and, in some cases, width) the vts contributes to the machine?

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I feel like the CTL is more robust, its made to run as a unit, where the VTS is not. The width of the VTS can be an issue, I understand that later they made them more narrow. They are heavy, about 1800 pounds per side as I recall. I liked the ride of the VTS, hands down better than a solid suspended CTL. I understand replacement parts are slow to come and expensive, I never replaced anything on mine.

Its hard to not put money in the equation. However if its not an issue I am very happy with the CTL. I would go that route.

If money is an issue or at least a concern.............

If you can find a VTS cheap, and the draw backs don't effect you, I would go that route, especially if it is not cost effective to trade out of the wheeled machine, but you need to get it cheap. I would look at it as disposable. Run it until you can justify a dedicated CTL. The benefit of swapping back and forth is overrated I believe. Few people seem to bother doing that, me included. I never did swap back and forth, not once. Granted however I had another wheeled machine.

7. alldayrj

Very good points. I've found that jack of all trades are never as good as having the right tool for the job. Having a ctl and a wheel machine is obviously the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I can't land on a size. Half the time I want the tak 230 but its so similar to my gehl in size and power that I think I want something small like the terex pt30 to work where the gehl can't. I guess I need one of each size and a money tree

8. alldayrj

Where I work is tight. The smaller the better. And I do a lot of work on pavement loading trucks and material, ripping out concrete etc. the more I throw it around the more I lean to buying another machine. Then you always have the right one

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you would need two machines. We do a lot concrete removal and spend time on asphalt as well. A single tracked machine for me would not be the answer. I have the TR320 and a 465. Both of these are large machines. I do sometimes which I had a smaller wheeled machine, but I make do. I would rather have a large wheel machine and if worse comes to worse you can always rent a smaller one (cheap to find and rent). Trying to rent a 3000 plus ROC machine is more difficult.

10. alldayrj

You will always need a bigger smaller machine for those few jobs. I'm just trying to find what I will need most of the time. This is super hard to define since business is always changing but I really need to get some demos going so I can figure it out.

Another hurtle is moving to pilot controls. I've run hand a feet since I was 9(24 now) and I felt like a moron trying them out at the dealer. Any tips from the guys who have made the change?