GOOD story of lawn care wanna be!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jerry Lee, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

haha that kinda sounds like one of my moms friends sons that i let help me one day. he came with and i knew he wasnt gonna be much help but i thot i give the kid some experience because i only had one yard left. well anyway the account he was helping me on was one of the best looking ones i had and i told him to weed eat the back and i would do the front. well when i went to inspect the job he did, he murdered the whole back yard the entire porch was scalped about a foot out from the edge of it and his excuse was he sneezed :laugh::laugh:. so i told his mom hees not getting paid.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My favorite back when I worked for another company, was this guy we hired, he claimed to have "extensive experience" on walk behinds. Hired him on a Thursday and he was to start the next Monday. He shows up Monday with one arm in a sling. So I asked him, how did he think he was going to operate the mower? He says "Oh I'll just push it with one hand" I laughed...then I show him a 36" and he says "that's NOT a walk behind...THAT'S a walk behind (pointing at a push mower)" :laugh: I sent him home and never did hear from him again.

3. Jerry Lee

extensive lol! u cant really trust a newb lol

4. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I have had the same thing happen to me countless times with new employees. So for years now after I interview the person if im interested in hiring him i have him operate the equipment right then and their at the shop.. This saves so much time and headaches. I never find it funny at the time because im need of help, but when i think back it cracks me up!!!

5. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

i've had similar problems before, they tell you trimming is second nature so you hire them and you get out in the field and these idiots cant even string up the trimmer they think trimming is easy, its an art and i have found some workers just can't figure it out

6. Jerry Lee

it is an art. it took me some time to get to where weedeating is like u said, a second nature act.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's good to see employers have such rigid selection and hiring proceedures in place. No reference checks, no skills tests, apparently not even a written application or training. Just show up and start work on customers' lawns. Wow, what an industry we've evolved for ourselves. In a decade we should have monkees running the mowers. But then I forget, that would require expensive training time, so maybe not.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I got people every day asking me for a job, saying they know how to run trimmers and mowers, but when they actually start they absolutely know nothing and you can tell they don't have any experience what so ever.

9. Jerry Lee

yea they know how to use there home owner brand trimmer. and maybe a push mower. than u throw tzr's and walk behinds into the mix and they dont know whats goin on:laugh:

10. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

that was a good story thanks for the laugh:):laugh: