1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good thing to have

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Here's a great item for all the new and old machines out there. It's a low pressure tire gauge that reads from 1 lb. to 20 lb by 1/2 lbs.. With all the bigger tired machines now available you should be checking and lowering your pressure for a better ride and cut. It's available at your local "NAPA" dealer for under 10 bucks.

2. Doc Pete

another view

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Have had one for at least ten years. They are good to have.
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a digital tire gauge that works good for me..

Lou :cool:
  5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of pressures are most of you using in the larger Z,s with 24X12X12 tires?
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

1st one like that I've ever saw that goes all the way down to 1 psi. I have one like that, but it stops at 5 psi. I'll have to run by the NAPA tomorrow and grab one.
  7. Doc Pete

And that's why I posted it;) Enjoy..........
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I foamed all of my tires.

I don't ever remember seein one of those. Thanks for the tip.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

11-13psi is what I run on my Lazer.

I really hate stick gauges, but like others said, I've never seen a low pressure version.

I use a 0-15 psi analog dial pressure gauge. Its made for drag racers to check their slicks. Has a nice 10" hose, and a pressure release valve.

I have that 0-15, a 0-30 of the same thing, and a 0-100 Digital, all with hoses.

In my old DC, a 1/2 pound of air made a BIG difference!!!
  10. Doc Pete

Yes, the only reason I posted is because I've never seen an inexpensive, low pressure gauge, that works;)

As you and I know this is an important tool. Now, as I'm trying not to belittling anyone, there's a good reason for have one. OK......... The reason to accurately check pressure is, while a machine that "tracks straight" at full speed and/or frontwards, may turn left or right as you slow down or go into reverse. This condition may be from the pump linkage being incorrect, but unless you adjust your tire pressure too, you will not be able to have the machine track straight under all conditions.
    Now, I realize this is not a "big deal", but "as for myself", a machine that tracks true all the time is just a bit faster in cutting and makes straighter lines with less operator effort and input. AND, this transfers directly into "more money" in your pocket.;) ;)