1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good time to do aeration?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Snapper Pro, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Snapper Pro

Snapper Pro LawnSite Member

Guys I have a newly started centipede lawn that's not fully established.Should i aerate it this spring or is the fall a better time after it is pretty much established this year?

2. Vogel-Landscaping

Vogel-Landscaping LawnSite Member

aerate and seed in the fall for best results. :cool2:

3. Deltacare  LLC

Deltacare LLC LawnSite Member

Warm season turf (ie Centipede) should be aerated in the growing season or just prior to. Aerating in the fall is OK, but will not have any benefit. May actually harm the grasses ability to protect itself through a cold winter depending on exact conditions. If you are seeding Centipede you should do that early Spring once the grass has greened up.

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Warm season turf is in full swing at 80-95 degrees, and cool season turf between 60-75. You will want to aerate when the grass is actively growing.

5. Snapper Pro

Snapper Pro LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I figured that it was best when it was actively growing just wonted some feed back.

6. Shipshape

Shipshape LawnSite Member

Soil types also come into play. Clay based soils may need two times per year where sandy soil would only need one.