Good Timing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Nov 8, 2005.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that basically hasn't paid for any services for the entire season. Yes I know what your going to say. I've talked to husband and wife only to hear the usual cr@p all year long. I decided to finish Oct and do Small Claims early this year. After doing invoices and totalling a final amount( $1000+), off to the court I go. On Nov 1 I drop papers on them. 4 days later on Sat. there's a check at the P.O. for payment in full. Finance fees and all. Monday I go tback to the courthouse to stop the action before they get served with papers. I think I'll get my filing fee back. Monday night I get a call from the husband and in a very concilliatory tone asks if I got the check, if everything was all right, and if I was coming back to cut the lawn. I'll go back and cut twice more this year and see what happens. It's an easy job at a good price. I'd like to keep the customer.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a customer trying to right things for once. They were waiting on a lump sum to pay bills. The question is, what will next yr bring? Only you can answer if customer was worth the stress of waiting. Next yrs quote just tack an estimated finance fee to your estimate.

You must have b@lls with a big heart to go a whole yr!!
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd drop 'em like a bad habit
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree and I never would've had more than a month outstanding without service being stopped. no pay, no mow!
  5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe if I didn't want to loose them I'd have this conversation with the husband.

Mr. X I appreciate your last payment but in the future will you please send a monthly payment ? There is no way I
    can operate getting paid only once a season. Would you accept this type of payroll on your job ?

If he is any type of decent person this should make sense to him.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would make him a prepay before i would give credit again.
  7. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I would do. If they wish to make a lump sum payment, it must be Prepaid, not Postpaid.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly. Put the shoe on the other foot and make them pay the entire lump sum up front next year.

You showed that you're a standup guy by providing services all year without getting paid, now it's their turn for them to show them they're stand up clients and trust you.
  9. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I personally wouldn't service the property anymore. If you decide to, I would make arrangements to get paid at time of service, no exceptions.
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

don't pay your cable bill fore one month n see what happens

they'd be on pre pay fore next year