Good tip for free gas discounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by genesgreen, Jun 9, 2008.

1. genesgreen

genesgreen LawnSite Member

I'm telling you these fuel prices are killing me. I have 12 and 24 month contracts on jobs that I'll be losing money on because it costs so darn much for fuel. Anywho this is far from a fix but I figure anything for a discount can't hurt as long as it's free. My wife was on the computer last night, like always, and she hollars at me "get in and see this!" She's always doing this and usually what she shows me is nothing I care about seeing. :laugh: But this time it was. I guess there's a couple credit cards out there that give businesses and other folks 5% off on their gas purchases. Heck back in the day I wouldn't give a crap about 5% but today that turns out to be 20 to 25 cents a gallon. Now I'm not big on credit cards but these ones were free, no fees, so I figured what the heck I'll give it a shot. I signed up for one and it said I'll get it in a few days. It gives the 5% off at any station you go to so I'm going to use it at the cheapskate station in town I go to anyway. Anyway thought you folks might want to hear about it. Here's the website and it's on the top of the page there. I went with that business one they have since it gave some other discounts on stuff to.

Now we just need someone to invent hybrid tractors and we'll be back in the game :usflag:
  2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about the one you signed for, but all of them I've seen that do that, only give you that for a limited time and then it either stops or is greatly reduced. beware and read the fine print.
  3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

we actually have two. I've had one for years with Shell for our personal vehicles. Pays 5% back each month on all Shell gas purchases and 1% on everything else. Automatically deducts it from bill at the end of the month

I signed up for another one for the mowers and the truck last year from Marathon gas. Same deal BUT they send you a $25 gift card for Marathon gas. Means you have to buy $500 in gas to get the rebate. Which these days doesn't take long. I use it for most if not all my business expenses right down to buying Gatorade/bottled water and if I eat out for lunch.

You just have to be responsible with it and don't go making big purchases.
  4. genesgreen

I was talking to my son in law about them and yep you're right. He was saying Citibank and Chase have cards that gave a gas discount but it was only for 6 or 12 months. But that one I signed up for is a permanent thing and I think the other one on that site is too.

Use to have one of them Chevron cards but the thing about those is they only give the discount at their stations. Sounds like this card I signed up for is a good deal because you can use it at any station. I guess that card says it gives the discount on your cell phone bills too? I'll be putting all our phone bills on it if that's the case. Anywho I'll see how this card works out. It was free anyway so if I have problems with it no sweat on my end I'll just stop using it.
  5. 19-SAH-98

19-SAH-98 LawnSite Member

I think Diesel is not included in many of the 5% off cards, so read-up...I almost got a Shell card 'til I found out...since my truck burns way more fuel than my mowers.
  6. genesgreen

Really? I read the fine print and it said any "fuel for an automobile" was included. Hopefully it is.
  7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

yep i have three of these cards , some give you a rebate right off the bill,others send you a check or debit card. but you must use thees cards very wisely.the reason being is if you don't pay them off every month,the interest rate will eat up any and all money saved !!!!
  8. dballs

dballs LawnSite Member

The details of the AMEX card say the following:
    "effective December 01, 2007, any individual Purchase transaction in excess of 75 gallons or equivalent dollar value will not be deemed to be a Purchase of automobile gasoline"

$75 of gas isn't much with prices around $4/gallon. Be careful filling up a truck and equipment b/c if you exceed the $75 limit you won't get the rebate. Still a good deal if you stay within the rules.
  9. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Have a Chase BP card that pays back 5% forever on BP purchases. Mighta been 10% for 1st month. Can't remember. Have to go to their website occasionally and have them send you $25 BP gift cards in the mail. Have a couple hundred bucks worth of them save up. Probably can't say it's for anything commercial.
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, the BP Chase Visa is 5% with unlimited rewards. I don't personally have one since the BP/Amoco stations that come in rarely stay. We had one for several years, the closest one, it just rebranded to Sunoco the other day. The other one is too far away.

Pretty much the story with anything that looks like a savings involving gasoline. It would be nice for a while. Then either the station goes to another brand or the rewards shrink. Or in a lot of cases the brand that I have cards with have local stations that are consistently more expensive to begin with.