1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good truck tires??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Jan 16, 2011.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I need to get a new set of tires for my Dodge 2500.

I have about 55k miles and have wore out 2 sets of tires. ;)

It came with Michelin and at about 25k I put Cooper on it.

I sure would like to get something that would last longer than these two sets.

Any suggestions?
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are your using 16 inch tires ? Is the truck a Cummins ? Is it a 4x4 ?

My brothers 94 Dodge eats tires at the most he will get 25,000 kilometers (16,000 miles) out of them regular 235/85R16s. I only got 24,000 kilometers (15,000 mile) out of 16 inch tires on the 1 ton dually trucks.

The best tires I found that lasted the most was Michelin LTX MS.
  3. PLS-Tx

from Texas

265/70/17, it'is a Cummins, it's not a 4x4, it's not a dually.

I pull a 8.5X20 enclosed trailer.

How many miles did you get on the Michelin LTX?

4. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

I have a DODGE 2500 also with 167,000 miles, I have had 3 sets of tires on it all Michelin LTX's. I am in the process of getting new ones now. The last set I bumped up to 17 in wheels. The biggest key to these I have found is rotating them often. I do mine every 3,000 miles. I do them then 3k later the tire shop does them.
    I have also heard the NITTO tires are good on these trucks. I don't know anyone that has them but I read on a DODGE forum about them. -Jason
  5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

How many miles are you getting out of the Michelins?

I rotate every 5k miles.

Someone else mentioned NITTO, I need to see who sells them around here.

This is the tire shop we use, they have always treated us well. Here is what they sell. http://www.eztireshop.com/showcase.htm
  6. igotdiesel2

Without looking I would say around 55k I am over on the set I have on it now. They aren't worth a lick on the snow right now. The set I have now are load range E. They have been the best set so far. I will be replacing them with the same tires. -Jason
  7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Wow, that's great. No snow to worry about here.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 03 ram 3500 4x4.... have tried several different brands of tires and none have lasted longer than 20,000 miles. I havent tried michelons yet.
  9. igotdiesel2

I am extremely anal when it comes to my tires. I check the tire pressure in the truck and the wife's JEEP every Sunday Period. I also check the trailers' tires every time I hook them to the truck. I also run nitrogen in all my tires. Nitrogen filled tires don't expand as much as normal air tires do. I also rrun the MAX air pressure in all my tires. The truck is 70psi. It gives a rougher ride but my tires last. when I was in HS I had a blow out running down the interstate and it scared the he!! out of me, from that day on I take of my tires. -Jason
  10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running Copper ATR. They're rated for 50k miles. I have about 12k on them now and I don't see them lasting 50k. I love the tread pattern and everything about them...I just don't think they'll last as long as they're supposed to.