Good Used Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thumper0504, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Thumper0504

Thumper0504 LawnSite Member

Can anyone suggest a source(s) for finding good used trailers and equipment for start-up or expansion in an area close to where you are( ie not driving through four states)?

I know that a number of people get in the business, buy all new equipment and then give up. I assume they want to unload it or it gets repossessed. I have looked in the paper, stopped by equipment repair shops, and checked the internet (ebay, etc.).Any other spots to check or look? Want to balance a good value without getting ragged out junk.

I have searched this site but didn't find anything that specifically addressed this particular question. Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.
  2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up some other LCOs in the phone book, and call and see if they have anything they want to get rid of.
  3. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Have you tried auctions?
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

all my mowers are used. and i do quite well with them. i bought a couple from a mower shop that sells the machine when the guy dont pay for repairs, and i bought stuff from others going out of business. in fact i have 6 machines, that cost a grand total of less than 4 grand, all are great
  5. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

EBAY, newspaper classifieds, community shoppers, etc. Central Va. also has a "Trading Post" where lots of lawn equip. gets listed.

6. Thumper0504

Thumper0504 LawnSite Member

Moguy -

Interesting. Are you talking about city or government auctions?

I have seen some at city auctions geez, the few I have we say down here, "They look like they've been rode hard and put up wet"...

Any other auctions you are familar with or referring to? Thanks for your input.
  7. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

If you do not mind driving some, there is a dealer in springfield mo. that always has lots of used equipment! Mainly Dixie Chopper's but I have seen used exmarks, scags and others.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the classifieds everyday. After the headlines- it is the one thing I look at EVERY day. Sometimes I don't even get to the Sports page. I have gotten a rolling tool box, trailer, walk-behind, 60 gal compressor, and other smaller bargains all from looking every day. This way you're one of the first to see the new ads when they are posted.
  9. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

The auctions I was thinking of were more along the Agri-Business type. They usually specialize in tractors, equiptment & machinery.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member