Good way to get customers I have found

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

This has worked for me a few times this season. When I finish giving an estimate and if the potential customer tells me they are waiting on a few more bids or Johnny the kid down the street has been cutting my lawn for years, I just happen to mention to them that if they go with another service, myself and other LCOs would appreciate it if you went with a legit LCO and not a fly by night service or the neighborhood kid or adult who is looking for extra pocket money because they are not on the level and more than likely will not be up front with the tax man in the spring. I just tell them people who provide this type of service are damaging the lawn care business and making it quite difficult on honest and hard working businessmen like myself and other LCOs. I just be nice and mention this with a smile and tell them whether they choose my service or not, it would be greatly appreciated if they went with another on-the-level LCO. I have actually gotten 3 jobs on the spot because of my honest up front approach and had 2 other people call me back in a few days and mention to me they liked what I had told them and they would be going with my estimate and service. The first time I did this, I dont know what I was thinking, it just came out. I was chatting with an older gentleman and we got to talking and he mentioned their was a neighborhood guy who was mowing a lot of properties in the area as something to do to make extra money and boom, I just said it. I was not planning on saying it or anything, it kinda just came to me and it worked on the spot. So I thought I would try it with anyone else who talked about having more LCOs out for an estimate. I only mention this to the ones who bring that nugget up and it has worked just about every time. I guess the customers just like the fact I was honest with them and up front about the troubles many LCOs have been having with the non-legit sect and how I am not worried about getting the job myself, just as long as a legit LCO is given the job. Of course I want the job myself that goes without saying. I dont know if this is something you all might want to try out if you are in need of drumming up new business or not.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good idea. Some people you have to point out the obvious (to us that is) about taxes and insurance. Keep up the great work of landing those new accounts!

Gravely_Man

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Not a bad idea, but it seems that a lot of people don't really care who cuts their lawn, as long as it gets cut. I have mentioned to people that their price does include state sales tax and they say, "Oh, well I pay in cash, so you don't have to report it anyway." In other words, they want an even lower price and they expect you to break the law to provide it.

This is one of the things I truly detest about the lawn business. The playing field isn't even close to being level and never will be.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't tried that yet, but I bet the reason that it has worked for you is because, by pointing out that you're legit and their not, shows that you are more committed to this, where the other guy may just stop showing up one day, or take a week off or do stuff that the homeowner dislikes cause he's not a committed as you are.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Rick Jones.

I am actually happy when a prospective client says things like that. It lets me know right off that they will be PITA clients and I don't want them.

Good clients are not that difficult to find, so why bother with the ones who are going to nickel and dime you and then drop you for a $2 discount from some lowballer.

When I face the people who tell me, my last guy was a lot cheaper. I say ok, then look at the lawn again. (usually scalped and showing the effects). Then I ask, why isn't he still doing it.
    They give some sob story, then I say. Well I am a professional. I show up when I am supposed to, I call if I can't for some reason out of my control. I have insurance and I pay the tax man. But most importantly I know what I am doing and you won't be out interviewing for a new lawn guy in a month.

Do you think for the peace of mind the little bit extra is worth it?

If they hem and haw, thank you for your time, call me when you decide. Never recieved a call.

If not, they sign right up.

Works everytime. separates the scrub clients from the real ones.

6. HondaFreak

HondaFreak LawnSite Member

I resent that. :mad: I may be that Johnny down the street but I'm very reliable. The reason I don't pay taxes is because I don't make over $900, or something around that. What do you mean by "not on the level"? :angry: The only thing I don't do is spread weed killer. I give them mowing, edging, sweeping and hedge trimming if they want it. Don't stereotype people.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Drew,

You don't make enough to pay taxes.. Thats a whole different ballpark than tax evaison.. Some guys will make $40,000 and not claim a penny of it and they are also on unemployment..

You should still be reporting your income though, but you won't have to pay anything..

8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Exactly qualitylandscaping. That is my point. If you dont make enough to record taxes that is one thing, but when you are the little jerk down the block who makes 20 grand a year cutting grass just to buy a car or whatever and dont pay your taxes, it ruins this industry and the hard working on the level guys. And actually, you should be recording your income, no matter how small it is. If you dont make enough, you wont be paying taxes on it, but you still report it. If you cheat, you are not on the level and that is what that means.

9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Thanks for the reply's guys. I just thought it makes people feel a little safer and more secure about the people doing work on there property if they are straight forward and dependable. It seems to have worked so far.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, if you're gonna be that "Johnny down the street" you're gonna have to get used to that kinda stuff.
    It's part of being "CFO, CEO, etc. of my own small company." as your profile describes you.
    Crawdad