Good way to get employed?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Shopkeeper, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

Currently, I am in my first season of residential lawn mowing. However, the season is coming to an end because winter is approaching faster than normal this year it seems.

Let me sum up my first season for you real quick:

In march I had the idea to slowly get into the lawn care business and decided that I would do a little research and find a partner to get into the business with. Well, by mid April we had the business rolling, but only with 4 yards. (I was 16 at the time as was my partner). From there we expanded to 9-10 yards depending on which week it was during the summer. By the end of summer our numbers were cut back down to 5. (Keep in mind that I was working full time at State Farm as an intern so I didn't have the time to put together an advertising compaign and my partner was lazy, which is part of the reason I am posting this.)

It is now Sept. and I am not sure if I want to be in this business any longer because of the lack of good business partners and the fact that its rough dealing with money for various reasons I will not mention. I am considering talking to or applying to another lawn mowing company to see if I could possibly work for them. After reading the forum it seems as though actually cutting the grass would be a no-go and I would have to do something else such as maintain the equipment or do job-site clean up or something of that sort on a landscaping job. I am not familiar with commercial quality equipment so I would have to learn.

My question to you guys is, at the age of 16 what would be the best way to land a job like this. As business owners, what would you look for and what can I do to improve my chances?

SIDE NOTE: I am a very hard, dependable, trustworthy, and honest person. I am there before I'm supposed to start and generally leave after. I don't laze around and when I work I work. I have a performance report from my internship that I am going to include in any application that I submit.

Sorry if this is hard to understand, just let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to re word things as needed.

Thank you,

2. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

Travis, my advice to you is this: start from the ground up.. get a low level job at a lawn/landscaping outfit and get familiar with the equipment, trucks, routes, customers, everything that goes into simply cutting grass. When you are good at it (and it actually does take time to truly be good at it), ask to move up , with more responsibility. Get certified for fert and chemicals. Pay attention to everything. When you feel like you are an indespensible member of any company you work for, it is time to start your business, get an attorney, get an accountant, get an insurance agent, and get your name out there. That's all there is to it.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pick a good company to apply at, install and maint divisions, clean modern trucks and equipment. When you get the job show up every day on time and listen carefully and follow directions. It is really that simple.

If they wont hire you at first and you are determined to work there. Show up at the gate 30 min before everyone else with your lunch packed dressed for work, ready to work. Usually by day 3 they will hire you, or file a restraining order against you.
  4. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

I LIKE this approach, I guarantee you could get a job with this company with that type of ambition.

Remember once you get in to be eager to do even the most mundane jobs, over and over again without complaint. Most guys wont ask you to do anything for them that they havent done so remember to be humble.