good way to get new lawns? just starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mayhem69, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

Hi, hope im under the right section. Anyway just starting out and want to do all phases, grass cutting, landscape, hardscape, etc.
    But i wouldnt mind basically concentrating on the grass cutting mostly!
    Anyway, what are some ways you guys got your new customers.
    I was thinking about making about 1,000 flyers to start out with my business name, phone # and what i do, and hang on the mailbox after the mail truck comes. I was going to offer like 10% off for senior citizens and single mothers also.
    I need some ideas to get some new customers!!

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I knocked on doors and put the word out when I started. Never say no to jobs and charge proper wage!

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

thats against the law and can get you in trouble, fined, or even arrested.

You cant touch the mail box with anything.

4. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

as far as i know you can as long as its not before the mail comes, I never stated putting it IN the mailbox, i put it outside on the pole or flag somewhere!
    yes, you can do this!

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Youre right.

You can put them in the newspaper slot too
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

thats a good subject, wage, what is proper wage? There is stiff competition around here in my area, which means i am going to have to offer lower pricing. I heard of guys mowing 2 acre lots for just $40, that seems awful low, i dont know!

7. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

you mean on the front door?, or i guess maybe around the doorknob maybe too?

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No the newspaper box that is beside the mailbox
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

oh, ok, duh, yes that would be good spot too! We dont get newspaper here, too expensive, maybe when i start making some decent money we can get the paper like normal people! we just get it on Sunday so my wife can get the coupons out of it!
    thanks for your help!
    I was going to make up just flyers on 8 1/2 x 11" paper and put my business name, phone #, what duties i would do, etc. and just start putting them everywhere. What do you think?

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a good plan. I'd say also try to post craigslist ad's as well because its free.