Good ways to pick up commercial lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenWerks, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GreenWerks

GreenWerks LawnSite Member

I have a ton of residential. I just need help with the commercial properties any ideas?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

try to pick them up in january and february. its too late in the year to try and get any. all of them are already booked.

3. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

I usually solicit commercial in December or January before they figure out their yearly budgets

4. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

TALK TO MANAGERS GET TO KNOW THEM, THEY ALWAYS HAVE BIDS GOING OUT EACH YEAR. ONCE YOU GET ONE PARK YOUR COMPANY TRUCK THERE OR HAVE A SIGN MADE UP WITH THE WORDS OF LANDSCAPING DONE BY NINER.( JUST KIDDING }ALONG WITH PHONE NUMBER WEBSITE EVERYTHING TO LET EVERYONE TO SEE YOUR NAME PUT IT IN THE ENTRACE WAY. BE PROUD OF IT AND SPEN EXTRA TIME THERE TO KEEP IT LOOKING GREAT I MEAN GREAT. GOOD LUCK.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

the way I got mine is Just walk right in, find out whos' in charge of the lawn work, Find out there needs, watch and see ths issues that are going on, Document it, and when the time comes, Sock it to them with all the issues you have written down for the year,

they love this, submit the bid and hope for the best....

BUT you need to have an outline, of services you need to preform, dont LEAVE ANYTHING OUT.
    Make sure your licensed for these task, make sure you present your insurance workernams comp, and ALL REQUIRED LICENSES,

other wise you may find yourself working for free........" it does happen"

Good luck

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

first find the right person in charge

7. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Network each potential commercial account. Meaning find out everything you can about the business, person in charge, your competition, and the price you will have to compete with. By networking you will need to find someone on the inside to give you a leg up and help fill in the blank spots on every thing about the account.

Then to get the account you will need to do something different or better or offer more services for the same to like money for the account to drop the person there using now.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

That is not correct. Schools, corporate centers operate on a fiscal year. Which mean their year could end in March, June, Sept. or Dec. While some will end in Dec it is not true all of them will. We just picked up a small college in June and started yesterday. If you want to go after commercial you are going to have to knock on doors. There is not to much loyalty in commercial. You could have 100k in work one year and think wow I am set for next year and find out they did not renew.

9. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

yeah- this is what scares me bout comm's.... i'll stick to resi's which are more profitable too. sometimes i think guys want the comm's beacause somewhere along the line, it made you seem more legit. but, of the few reputable companies i see doing them, its obvious the bids were low because the quality sucks and they're just trying to get it done and make a small profit.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Lock them in for multi year deals with increases yearly. Mine are all three year deals, I just landed a 5 year deal as well, and in most cases, they dont even know when they're up for renewal until I meet with them. This has worked well for me. The only ones I have lost over the years went because of new ownership/management, and in some cases, they kept us on and gave us more work. Don't be afraid of pursuing the commercial sector. No loyalty? I'd agree, but most don't elsewhere unless you give them reason to, which is no different than the resi side. Good luck.