good z-sprayers & does JRCO spreader work

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Nov 18, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I am looking to see what brand name zt spreaders and sprayers you guys prefer. Also JRCO has a spreader that can be mounted on the front of a ZTR Mower. I want to get some advice on these. I already am aware of Lesco z-spreader.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=2

Thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but I wouldn't count on a perfect even throw of fert.. I WOULD count on some nice rusted out equipment when these things are used, though.

3. humble1

from MA

so what brands are there that are good?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For ride on, Permagreen and Z spray are the two most recommended. For walk behinds, a Lesco push spreader (stainless) with the Gregson Clark insert. There is also Lesco's ride on, but again,...you are looking at rust issues.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we have a zspray and it is nice, i like the scotts pro spreaders but we have lesco too. we have three jrco units for use on our ztrs and theya re lifsavers . we produce lots on fert rounds and use it for large area seeding and such too. definitely get the stainless model though

6. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I used a JRCO electric spreader until the motor rusted tight. The motor was mounted under the spinner. I now use a Spyker. The motor is sealed and in the hopper. I like this setup better. I also find the Spyker is easier to adjust and calibrate.

Scott

7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I have a z-max and love it.
    If you are local you could by and check it out.

8. humble1

from MA

I have seen the z-max just didnt know what the name of it was, The only reason I asked about the JRCO is that I have a ZTR Commercial mower we dont use anymore, thought if i could get a hopper on it but wonder if i would have a hard time maintaining steady speed for calibration.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you already have the equipment then that would be a good way to go. You could even mount a boom and spray at the same time. If you are going that way...Lesco has a good spreader you could mount on you ZTR and I think it is only like $400 or so.

It is easier to maintain a constant speed with a machine then it is walking with a spreader. Find a speed good comfortable speed with your ZTR and use some kind of stop on your hydro...and make sure you always run the same RPM. Calibrate your spreader at that speed and you should be ready to go!

Your speed may change slightly going up and down hills...but that is found with all equipment.

10. humble1

from MA

Thanks for that i feel a bit better now, having an 9000 dollar machine sitting there while im thinking about buying another big piece of equipment was a little disheartining(sp?). Anyway what manufacturer of a pump,boom and nozzle would you sugest? What nozzle size like 1 gpm? My othe rthought on this was if i could mount of the back to limit the fine dust particulate from accumulation on me and all over the machine, if i mount on the back throwing towards the rear it would keep the machine cleaner. What are your thoughts.
    Happy Thanksgiving