Good zero turn for start up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clean N Green, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Clean N Green

Clean N Green LawnSite Member

Im starting my company in Spring of 2010. I have almost ten years of landscaping experience. What is a good zero turn for start ups. I will be doing mostly residential and have about 15 customers lined up.. Most are about 10 to 15 k square foot lawns.. Advice please

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Fortunately you really know what you are doing now. You know your price range and how to pick a unit from within that range.

I see a lot of 60's on subdivision small lawns, but a 40 to 48 would be better imo. Depends a lot on gates where you are.

3. Lafman

Lafman LawnSite Member

I cut about the same sized yards. I bought a Toro 42" with a 21 HP for $2600 plus tax. It works great, plus i can get it the majority of the homeowners backyards. Those that I can't, i use my Toro 22 self propelled. Use a Maruyama trimmer and Echo edger. All work great.

good luck

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would buy a good used commercial Zero Turn or Walk Behind, something around 48".

Do not buy the $2600 homeowner toro that above poster reccommended. It is not designed to cut 15 lawns a week. Most homeowner equipment will start having major issues the first or second year when used to cut more than a couple of lawns per week. It is designed for one largeer lawn per week.

5. Lafman

Lafman LawnSite Member

The major difference between a "more" commercial duty toro than the one i recommended is the deck. The one i purchased has a stamped deck vs. a welded deck. The engine is the same which is what really matters in my opinion. While the more commerical duty ZTR's are bigger, what good is it to have one if you can't use it to cut the homeowners backyard. Why buy a huge lawnmower to cut a small frontyard? This person, like myself is just starting out. It doesn't make good business sense to pay for an over-priced lawnmower than can only be used for 50% of the yard. I am assuming he will be a single operator. He doesn't need a $10k mower. But, to each his own.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

First of all this has been discussed many times here - do a search for the multitude of answers.
    Secondly, the best mower in the world isn't worth squat without decent dealer support.
    So, find a dealer you can establish a good rapport with, discuss your business plan and aspirations with the dealer to determine what level of support you are going to receive.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a matter of getting going, or not getting going, then yes, the $2600 42" Z is an option that will work for now.

But Toro makes a commercial 40" subcompact Z for around $5.5k that is much better and will last many years longer.

Granted, that extra 3k is a lot of scratch to come up with or make payments on.

Not mentioning wb because the OP said Z. But I started with a 32 wb and still had gates in old Biloxi it couldn't get thru.

8. LushGreenLawn

Toro commercial mowers use a hydrolic system, vs. The cheap hydrostatic in the timecutters, not to mention a heavier frame (first time your timecutter is stuck in a ditch you will bend the frame pulling it out). Last time I checked the timecutters they were using a briggs engine, what engine does your have on it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LushGreenLawn

You don't have to go new. I bought my JD717 for 4k with 66 hours on it, still under warranty. They had an identical mower with 200 hours on it, no waranty for $2700.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. LushGreenLawn

You don't have to go new. I bought my JD717 for 4k with 66 hours on it, still under warranty. They had an identical mower with 200 hours on it, no waranty for $2700.
    Posted via Mobile Device