1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good ZTR for towing an Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm looking to purchase another ZTR for next season. I have used Dixie Chopper and Hustler so far. I'm ruling Dixie Chopper out because it doesn't have Mulching capabilities. Hustler is getting over priced.

I have been demoing Exmark, but beside a good cut. I need something that can handle a tow behind aerator. Exmark doesn't think towing an aerator is a good idea with their unit.

I'm really considering looking at the gravely line because I like the fact they have a 34" ZTR. So I might buy a 34" and a 60". Does anyone know if gravely can handle a tow aerator or the Gator-Rator easily. I think the tow capacity listed under their hitch is 500lbs, but when the aerator penetrates 3" into the ground and cause resistance. Rolling capacity isn't helping me much.

Any ideas of what I should be looking at? My main concerns are cut quality, Mulch kit capability, Towing capabilities, and a low center of gravity for hills.

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Did the dealer tell you this or did Exmark? I seem to remember Terry (the Exmark rep here at Lawnsite) saying something on this matter and it was positive. It's not like you're trying to pull a 2000 pound load, which by the way is the Dixie Chopper limit.

3. Soupy

Below is what Terry had to say about it.

4. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You might want to reconsider Dixie Chopper. Their towing capacity is 2000 pounds. It is written in their 2004 catalog. The DC's have an excellent cut quality from what I hear. The DC does have mulching capabilities. They have something they call a magic mulcher which is an option. They also have an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC). TheOCDC comes standard on their larger models and is optional on the cmaller mowers. It would probibly mulch pretty well with the OCDC down and running double blades. Gators on top of the standard DC blades. DC makes a bracket so you can run double blades without the blades eventually getting mis-aligned.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have used my Walker with no problems, other than being able to see behind the collection bin. I have considered finding a "not so nice" tractor to use. Even if it could not mow, it would serve it's purpose.

7. ReckordGeneralMaintenance

ReckordGeneralMaintenance LawnSite Member

Ive used my lazor to pull my tow behind for 4 seasons its a standard tow behind plug aerator with 5 cinder blocks for weight. I welded a hitch to the back of the lazor so far so good no problems.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh the eXmark and the Hustler will do fine with no problems. Check your pm.

9. Soupy

I have owned a Dixie for several years and know all about it's mulching capabilities. I love the OCDC, bought one for my Hustler. But the OCDC is not a Mulcher. There is no comparison between the OCDC and a mulch kit. I don't bag leaves, so a mulch kit is definitely a must have option.

10. Soupy

My sales rep just emailed me this info. I have been waiting for the 52" Lazer Hp demo. I allready demoed the 60" Lazer Z. What do you guys think about the mower mentioned above? I am going to head over to Exmarks website now and see what the features are.

Brain fart, I missed the part were he mentioned it only had a 20hp on it :sleeping: . I called the sales rep and told him no thanks. Please disregard the above question.

Soupy