1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye 2 stroke-hello 4-stroke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMK, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TMK

TMK LawnSite Member

After months of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke (honda's) I am getting rid of these 2's.
    Anyone thinking of using 4 strokes I say give them a try. They are great machines. I have been using the Honda's & am totally sold. They do everything needed with less hassles. Less noise, smoke, good fuel efficiency, start everytime & no hassles with mixing fuel/oil. Thanks Honda for making great machines.

OK all you hard core 2's_have at it.
  2. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using them for awhile, everything is 4 cycle, I've heard some people complain about them of course, but they haven't given me problems.
  3. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

been using them for 7 years ..only problems ...... worn out clutch and 2 heads (heads wore b/c of excessive pavement use... best trimmers i have ever used. just bought a new one and noticed that it was made in taiwan.... it was 100 dollars cheaper. the other 2 are made in japan.... whats up with that ? they should make some attachments for them so i can get rid of the stihl......
  4. TMK

TMK LawnSite Member

Not sure about the Taiwan mfg. All mine are from Japan_hmmm.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I've also used the Hondas for 7 years now. In addition to the string trimmer, I have the Honda edger.

Excellent machines. Reliable, quiet, fuel effcient. But they are heavy.
  6. wallyturcotte

i agree on the heavy part.... but after a few weeks i got used to it...
  7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

What happens when you sit them down while running and they roll over and turn upside down?
  8. Cajun Country Lawn Care

Cajun Country Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I love my honda trimmer.:usflag:
  9. wallyturcotte

they run fine upside down..... they have a small oil pump in them.... never had a problem with that.
  10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm seeing more and more of them here over the past couple of years. We have a Honda brush cutter that we really like, but after trying a trimmer we're going to stay with the Stihl 4-mix hand helds. the trimmer was fine but they're a little pricey and for sure heavy.

Honda is supposedly working on shaving some weight off of them, if they manage to do that and get the prices down 5% or so we might try some of them.

The brush cutter we have is a brute with fantastic torque but you have to wear a harness or it'll wear you out quickly. With the harness you can run it all day.