1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Dolly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 21, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well it just goes to show, people ARE thinking about lawn service, even though that it has been really cold here in PA lately.

Received a letter from a customer cancelling sevice. it said:

Dear Matt and Jodi:
    I am writing you this letter to let you know that I will not be able to continue using you for my lawn service. I have been completely satisfied with the service you have been giving me; however, my finances have changed and I can no longer afford the luxury of having my lawn taken care of for me. I will attempt taking on that job with the help of my brother and brother-in-law. I wanted to let you know early enough so that you can get another customer to take my place.

I want to thank you for the great job you have been doing for me.

Sooooo... first cancellation of the season for us. Nine years in business, and the only cancellations we normally get are when the customer checks into the cemetary. This was a good $$$$ account, sucks to lose it.
    Anyhow, I plan on writing her a small letter telling her we would be more than happy to service her lawn in the future if she ever feels the need.
    Do you ever contact your customers after cancellation?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

lost a few that way money will keep gettin tighter
  3. Mega

Mega LawnSite Member

I think the economy is off just a bit. Cost of goods and services keep going up. If there on a fixed income, this is what happens. Gotta cut spending somewhere. Or someone under-cut your price. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
  4. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I think its a great idea. Things might change for her as time goes by,it happened to me here a while back and soon as it got hot they called me back,so leave on the best terms possible.
  5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

absolutely, drop her a line and tell her she has been a terrific customer and if there is anything you can ever help with in the future you would be glad to.
  6. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

Had the exact same scenario Spring of last year. Brother helping out after a nasty divorce. Three cuts into the season we were back on board. I wouldnt sweat it unless you see lines from another commercial mower.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My customers were the same, I'd only lose them if I decided the account didn't fit into my route anymore and dropped them myself. My customers were extremely loyal.
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

all customers who cancel on good terms get a letter in the spring asking if we can be of service this year.... i do this for a couple of seasons anyway

been loosing some to a very nice assisted living facility. here....
  9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm with Dave. All clients who leave on good terms will get a letter every spring.
  10. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Dropping a line is a very good idea. Things for her could change for the better and then.... Bingo:drinkup: