Google earth and Iphones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ICT Bill, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I saw the coolest thing the other day from purely organic lawn care in Maine. They are a service company no lawn mowers

A customer calls and says "how much to do my lawn". Jim whips out his Iphone and says "whats your address?" he puts it into his Iphone. Up comes a picture from above of the area highlighting the address.
    He zooms in and outlines the property with his finger and hits another button.
    The darn phone says 5400 square feet.

So Jim gives the guy an answer over the phone.
    The whole transaction took about 15 seconds
    The customer says " great, when can you start"

He also has GPS set up in each truck which has pushpins for each location to be serviced that day, blue for one truck Red for another. The driver doesn't even have to think, just drive. It is interactive so if someone calls during the day you can change the drivers route by giving one site to the other truck or adding sites for the day.

I thought it was very cool and effecient, Steve Jobs rocks

2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I hope Jim checks the address out on the street/mouse/maiblox before he provides service. Me and my friend both have found that when you type in our addresses, Google shows the wrong house/address...

3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. now that is too freakin' cool!! I wish I was in a position to get the iphone and use it that way. What a time-saver.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Mine gives me bunk info every now and then but 9 times out of 10 it's dead on. More than that really. My iphone map has saved me from being lost so many times it's not even funny.

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

so you guys think the iphone is worth the money?

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

yes. You can get the refurb 4gbs for $199 now and the 8gbs for $249 with the full warranty. That's about the same as a Motorola RAZR!

7. macguy

macguy LawnSite Member

I haven't used Google earth on mine all that much but I don't remember it being able to give you the square footage of a property. Maybe it has to do with how well the area in question has been mapped. The larger cities seem to have more detail than smaller ones and rural areas.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

ill look at getting one today

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would love to be able to just whip out an iphone and give an exact estimate right over the phone and not even have to go to look at the yard.

10. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you were trying to say here but the words "exact estimate" don't work together well.

I too think this would be a cool thing to have, but anything given overt he phone would eb an estimate. If you give the estimate and the guy balks hen maybe a visit is required, but at least he/she would know your ballpark charge.

If they are happy theny ou can go out and look at the property and make sure the estimate was fair, but I know technology is good but don't rely on it completely, make sure to check yourself on each property.