1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Google Keywords

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Had a nephew hang out with me til 2 am last night. I normally go to bed by 8pm. Anyway he schooled me on google adwords and adlinks. MIND BOGGLING. Anyway I set aside 50 bucks as an experiment to see what caused adword hits. My hits were 5 of 569 times my ad was posted. 469 times it was through the search word IRRIGATION in which I got two hits that cost me 1.32. 5 times it was the search RAINMASTER and I got 1 hit. Anyway he and my daughter have both told me the same thing. The struggling 50 year old who doesn't follow any rules tends to have more success on the internet than the awesome 25 year old who gets everything. UGLY CLUELESS WEB PAGES RULE.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Once more, in English?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We mentioned the google adwords last week. keep up buddy.

I just got on it 10 days ago. 14 clicks on 1700 postings. Total of $12.00 so far. Three inquiries. One repair job, one never returned my email, one just had a question.

BTW - i'm kind of giving it a $50 limit this month too. But, it is also still early, and I'll probably get more hits next month when it warms up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. Wet_Boots

So it's eighty-plus cents per click? I wonder how the billing works if the google portal site is in a computer's Hosts file (and thus not viewable to the potential customer)

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I joined Adwords based on Danas quick experience. 100 dollar limit this month, have had 3 calls on 7 clicks.

Decent IMO

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What are you looking for? Service work or installation? Or maintenance?

7. Wet_Boots

How specific can you make the links appearance, so that someone in Timbuktu isn't clicking on your ad?

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.......

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The more specific you get with keywords or phrases, the better the chances of a quality click. I think there is a feature for only displaying your ad to people searching from your area. Not sure if it can tell that from your ISP or maybe ESP :)

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Funny you should mention that. I get on through my cell phone, which is sprint, which is apparently based out of Texas. "Local" ads think I'm in Texas.

Ive got my ads set for Colorado Only. Seems to work so far. If you wanted to, you could include the towns or areas you service in the keywords, thence the more specific they would be.