google page rank dropped??!?!?!

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by birdturd9726, Mar 26, 2009.

1. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

in the past few days, my google rank for "suffolk county landscaping" dropped from 7 to somewhere beyond the 11th page. The only thing i can think of that would casue this is that i have recently started posting multiple craigslist ads..

i have always posted 3 craigslist ads every day under the service categores because it helped my rank a little and i got decent conversions. I recently begun posting the same 3 craigslist ads in the service categories plus began posting ads in the for sale section listing my services. The total ads each day for posting has become about 10. I am thinking this has hurt my google ranking. Any help from a SEO pro would really be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

CL is a nofollow site and your postings would not penalize you. I will take a look at your site real quick and post again.

You have oodles of duplicate content out there and I would definitely start by cleaning that up and make sure future syndications are unique. will show you where all the duplicate content is, but here's a quick screenshot for you.

Also, from the attachment, I can see where you have used "spammy" tactics for SEO. Google USED TO fall for that, but now they penalize for excessive keyword-stuffing.

ScreenHunter_53 Mar. 28 03.56.gif
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  3. Besides owning a lawn care company I still do internet marketing for car dealers (my main gig for the last 8 years) by contract. OK, I bet you can be on the first page if you make a few simple changes. Title:
    Now the title is: B & B Maintenence, Inc. OK this needs to be changed to:

title= Suffolk County Landscaping * Lawn-Yard-Tree * B & B Maintenence, Inc.

Show a last update as the day you make this change. MOst web designers do not put in a last changed date & this is a serious error. When you change a date in a website this sends a message to the search engines to "SPYDER" your site for changes. You have common mistakes that most web designers make. Maybe they make pretty websites but most have NO KNOWLEDGE of what it takes to get 1st page listings for a website. Try what I say and let me know after a week if your ranking changed for the better.

I blast over big companies in lawn yard and tree care in San Antonio on the internet. I keep 2 crews busy yaer round as I also do property clean up & haul away service. This alone has doubled my income in a few months. If your company needs "BLASTING" in the search engines.....I will do it for cheap.....

Trey Bernhardt

4. birdturd9726

I just edited some of the oodle and backpage posts using the "spammy tactics" I am currently sitting at 46 with google for 'suffolk county landscaping' in which i was sitting at around 5 2 weeks ago. What else would you recommend to get my rank back up

please inform me on how to put in a last update. I used a template designer from . let me know if you know how to add the date. Thanks

any more information would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
  5. Team-Green L&L

What he is referring to are meta tags: The "title" tag and the "description" tag. Use keywords in these two tags. Also, use keywords when possible in the "alt" tag for each picture. Just remember that alt tags are used by blind people, so don't be spammy.

I think what he is referring to on the date thing is logfiles, but I'm not sure. It is true that a sitemap can be written to tell the spiders to crawl every X days and so can your meta tags, but I don't know if spiders will "automatically" hit your site because you update a date somewhere in the content?

Add a couple lines of hidden text in the code like <!--This is hidden text-->. Just a couple now, so not to anger the Google Gods. Use keywords in the way you separate your code for the greatest effectiveness:
    (ie; <!--Landscaping Body--><!--Lawn Care Body-->).

I'll look again a little later...
  6. birdturd9726

i am limited to how much i can edit because it is a template. Would you recommend adding more pages. Like breaking up my services to where it brings you to a services page and then a picture you click on to bring you to more information about that service. Or would you recommend just adding more relevant pages with context like breaking the services up into spring services maintenance services fall services, ect. Thanks.

Please let me know what you would do if this were your website.
  7. Team-Green L&L

If you are limited, but can organize then try this. Create a folder for each one of your main pages. Name it a keyword corresponding with the type of page it is. Be sure that you have all your links pointed where your root folder is. Now Google will see a well organized site broken up into categories that, just so happen, to be your keywords.
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

trey, please explain more about the date thing. What is your opinion of Tag Clouds?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  10. Team-Green L&L

The date thing I cannot give an honest opinion on. I study logfiles, which are essentially Google analytics in it's primitive form. They are dated and are tracked, but as far as a simple date change. I dunno?

Tag Clouds are used on sites with a vast amount of content. Usually Social Networks and Blogs. These features are used to help the user navigate and see what the majority of the site's content is pertaining quickly. They do not help in SEO much. The tags themselves help some though.