1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Google Placement for your website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by EarthGuard, Mar 17, 2008.

1. EarthGuard

EarthGuard LawnSite Member

Hey guys
    We are seriously considering using a company called Wisdek. Anyone have any experiance in this stuff?

Basically what they do is charge you 1500 for 6 months and you get to be featured in the sponsered links at the top of the page on google. You have to choose 6 key phrases that someone is likely to type in on the search engine(ie lawn care puget sound or tree and shrub care northwest)

My only problem is that its expensive and you have to pick key words that customers will actually type in. You have to add a region too (so you can't just pick "lawn care", you have to pick "lawn care portland")

Let me know what you think
  2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

$1500 for 6 months, unreal......way too much money!

You can have a website designed and optimized for that price that will give you great organic search results for years to come, throw in a few bucks for a google ad word campaign for the first couple months while you wait for the organic placement and start answering the phones!
  3. MarcM

MarcM LawnSite Member

agree, way too much. keep looking. Who ever you choose, make sure they spell out in a contract what they are agreeing to deliver for you in terms of your site and then the optimization services.
  4. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

Landscaping & Lawn care are such localized business that advertising on Google or anyother search engine doesn't make sense to me. Put your web address on everything you have and the people that SEE it will go to it. Use it as an informational brochure about your business.

I have a larger than a business card size add in the Yellow Pages that cost me the same as what you are talking about. It has my web page on it and I'm listed in Yellowpage.com. Local people go to my site.

What happens in 6 months when your term is up and someother landscape company put his name above yours? All I'm saying is there are better places to spend your advertising money.
  5. obland

obland LawnSite Member
    from USA

Lot of money it seems for 6 months.
  6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I had a 1.5 hour meeting with a company like that out here. If yours is geared like this company it might not be that bad of a deal. They guaranteed 100(pre determined number) unique visitors a month to your site. They basically gauge how many people have gone so far in the month and if it isn't enough they make your add pop up more. You can gear it to be area specific as they let you use 200 phrases that you think might get searched. You just include your area in those phrases.

Yes these are sponsored links in google, yahoo and others. It was a couple/few hundred a month for it but hey that's a couple bucks per person spent on advertising. Now remember too that these are 100 new people that are LOOKING for your service coming to YOUR website every month! It's not just throwing 10,000 flyer's out there to everyone and hoping 2% of them want what you have.

Did we go for it? Not yet. We are working on a better site with more customer interaction, more content and the like. It will go live next winter. We are looking to hire that company then. :)

So if yours is doing something like that, and you are confident you can turn a high percent of 100 interested people into customers then maybe it isn't such a bad idea. Good luck!

Ps. I'm not out working right now because we got 5 inches of snow last night... *sigh* And I thought winter was over! :hammerhead:
  7. JDUtah

from UT

Dough! I went to edit this but took too long. I was going to add the following info....

So... say you hire the company for 8 months... convert 40% of the 100/month into customers, and get $2,000 of work from each... that leads to $640,000 gross income for roughly $2,000 in advertising.
  8. JDUtah

from UT

Ummm.... Someone check my math but at 10% profit... is that really 1,066% Return on investment?????????
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

100 Unique visitors month will not produce those kind of conversions from my experience. My landscaping site produces 300-400 unique visitors a month in the summer and even in the off-season we are seeing 200-300 unique visitors a month. Of those I get 2-3 estimate requests per day in the spring and early summer, 1-2 leads per day throughout the summer, and 3-4 leads per week in the fall. I get an average of 2-3 leads per week in the off-season for the upcoming season and snow plowing.

I did all the SEO work myself and I have definitely gotten my ROI at about 1000-1 and have been able to reduce ad costs to almost nothing because our website leads produce almost ALL of our business.

Here is a report from Google Analytics for my results from Sep. 27 - Today. End of season and still have 3 trucks running 40 hrs a week. I can show anyone how to get these results. It only takes a few hundred hours of work (which is nothing in comparison to what it produces) or I can do the work for you if you'd like.

Sep 27, 2008 - Oct 27, 2008

Site Usage

229 Visits

543 Pageviews

2.37 Pages/Visit

48.03% Bounce Rate (visitors who only view the landing page)

00:01:17 Avg. Time on Site

77.73% % New Visits

Visitors Overview

185 Visitors

Traffic Sources Overview

Referring Sites
    110.00 (48.03% decrease)

Search Engines
    83.00 (36.24% decrease)

Direct Traffic
    36.00 (15.72% decrease)

Content Detail:

284 Pageviews

Content Overview

% Pageviews
    284 views 52.30% of traffic
    73 views 13.44% of traffic
    69 views 12.71% of traffic
    43 views 7.92% of traffic
    39 views 7.18% of traffic
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Im on the first page of a google search for my website and i didn't pay squat! As a matter of fact if you find me on the web through any search engine, you can bet your a*s i didn't pay anything to be their.