Google Places

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by tonygreek, Feb 25, 2012.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Was going through my old issues of Inc. Magazine (15 years worth is 'bout normal, right?) and found a mid 2011 article that is worth a read re: Google Places. If you don't have a Places page, do it today. Like, now. A key benefit, since you all are local service companies is that, while your business website could have a page 5 search result, your local'centric Places page could have you near the top of the coveted page 1 results.

http://www.inc.com/guides/201106/how-to-use-google-places-to-market-your-business.html

Tony

2. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree! If you don't have a Google Places page, WHY NOT!?!? It is free and definetly helps you in the rankings.

Just a few more tips to add to the article:

1. Get as many positive customer reviews as you can! This is the largest single deciding factor of where your place page will be in the rankings.
    2. Post status updates on your place page. Kinda like Facebook, you can share updates that are relevant to potential customers.
    3. Post photos and videos and encourage your customers to post photos.
    4. Make a coupon for your place page.

If you are having trouble getting customers to give reviews, do what I did and offer an incentive for them to give you a review. I sent out an email stating that customers can get a coupon for mowing services after they give me a review on my place page. Doesn't have to be a huge coupon, but the improved ranking will give you more business in the future and you will regain the coupon's profit loss.

How many reviews are enough?

Look at your competition's place pages in your area and try to get 3-4 more reviews than they have. That will make your place page stand out!

3. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention, Yahoo has something similar to Google Places. Wouldn't hurt to get a Yahoo Local page.

http://local.yahoo.com/

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Yep. At the bare minimum, even if you don't have a web site*, you should have a Google Places and Yahoo Local page.

*especially if you don't have a web site

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup its a no brainer and free!! I have google places, Yahoo and Bing.

6. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Google Places is great and is the king of the search! Bing is in charge of Yahoo's search engine, so it would not matter if you made a Yahoo listing. I mean you can, you just would not have to fill both of these out, just one.

Also Yelp(believe it or not) a review site, lets you list your business free and does show up in the Search Engine Rankings.

Manta, Merchant Circle and Hot Frog are very much worth listing your business as they too will eventually get you noticed.

Fill all of these profiles to the fullest potential, include photos..GOOGLE will allow 10, I highly recommend at least five if you cannot get 10.

I highly recommend everyone get a LinkedIn account(also FREE) Find professional groups, such as on here, for every niche and connect with other professionals in your industry. Great learning and traffic getter!

Now to keep your rankings...let the real work begin.

7. TwigsLawnCare

TwigsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I didn't know about Manta and Merchant Circle. Thanks for the tip.

8. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

I agree. For better or worse it seems like sometimes the google place results appear before the real website. And I'm guessing it goes without saying that create a Facebook free business page listing is also a good thing. I'm noticing more and more those free sites are rising to the top. Lots of free marketing on the internet. There's even free google adwords (the pay for click stuff) for first time advertisers.

9. TwigsLawnCare

TwigsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have not seen that. You have any more info on it?

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

It's free, but once saturated with businesses, becomes a mess.

I saw Bing's verson of local listings today, and realize they have Google beat hands down.

Google makes a mess of it. Maybe showing 7 companies with other ads, on a search page, with hundreds of other companies hidden.

Bing has theirs reduced to a small section that needs to be opened. By far the best way to go.

:)