Goose Control

Discussion in 'Find It Here' started by Sean Adams, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I once smacked a goose up the side of the head with an errant shot on the local golf course. Thought I'd killed him but he recovered enough to go and lay down in front of a tee for an hour and then disappeared. Geese didn't come back for 4-5 days to the course and a lot of fellow golfers were ecstatic. However, I don't think this would work as a deterrent because golfers are notorious for not hitting the ball where they want it to go. :p

3. hilltopgrounds

hilltopgrounds LawnSite Member

Haha thats funny except around my area we had a golfer actually get arrested for animal abuse or whatever for hitting a goose. It was crazy.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When i worked for TGLC and we did work on the AOL property in ashburn, they contracted us to remove the geese, so we hired a local guy with some border collies to keep the geese busy...

Flight control works OK results were marginal. I got better results using one of the the cheepo irrigation timers that screw into the faucet. i programed it to come on for a minutes every ten minutes...

I have heard that the floating alligators you can get at pool stores work, but I hae not tried it...

Almost pegged a goose yesterday with a drive at reston national....I would have had no problems with taking the SOB home and chowing down....

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Several toxicants are available for bird control. The most widely used product is a chemical frightening agent formulated as a bait which when eaten causes affected birds to emit distress calls, thus, repelling the remainder of the flock. It may be lethal to birds consuming too much bait. Use of the product requires pre-baiting and frequent service. It's an option that may be more viable and cost effective than trapping.

6. MarcSmith

a much more entertaining option is to invest in some R/C cars....and then have fun....

If you kill just one of them. none will come back for some time. But since they are protected, that option is out...

7. PurpHaze

Nothing pisses a golfer off more than having his putt hit goose doo-doo. We have a hard enough time putting on a clear green. :p

8. MarcSmith

If I could control a goose, Id employee him full time to cut grass they do a good job, but the by-product stinks..:)

9. PurpHaze

Geese are a lot like women. :help: Just got my head smacked by the wife. :D

10. MarcSmith

If I could control my wife, the world would beat a path to my door to find out the secret....