Gooseneck or Bumper pull?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Johnson LCO, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting so sick of mowing and am contemplating selling my mowers and getting a dump trailer to concentrate on landscaping. I could have used, scratch that, needed a dump trailer this season but I stuck it out with my utility trailer making multiple trips and unloading by hand. I have 6k to spend and am wondering if I should go with a gooseneck or bumper pull dump trailer. The bumper pull is cheaper but seems so limited. I have an f350 diesel dually so I can handle the goosenecks weight but are there any drawbacks? How much weight can my truck handle on the trailer. I am having a hard time finding much info on goosenecks because not many people have them so I am hoping someone can enlighten me. Can I realistically get a used gooseneck dump for $6k? Any input is appreciated.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ive used both, and loved the gooseneck over the bumper pull. It just pulled easier and just felt better all around.

3. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. I knew not many people had them but cmon someone has to have some info.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Goosenecks are safer when puling at any speeds, even when going around a corner. You are transferring up to 3000 lbs (depending on load size and placement) to the truck and it will carry the weight better on the truck axles, bumper pulls will cause your truck to sway and the can jack knife on you quickly in an accident, the weight is dragged by the truck, and putting more weight to the hitch just makes it worse, you are also robbing traction from the steering wheels by doing that.
    I went with a GN trailer, and I am not looking back, only when I am backing up.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I like bumper pull because there wont be a fith wheel in the bed taking up space. Bumper pulls can still haul alot of weight.

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have both and love both. each has there own place. Goose is fine, heavier loads, etc. Bumper is good - no need for ball in truck but really guys - complaining about the ball in the bed is just stupid. depends on your use, hauling etc. I have the options of different trucks and trailers so I can use what I want when needed. 6K is not alot for a trailer - not new at least.

7. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I belive the last guy was thinking of a 5th wheel hitch...they do take up room.
    A gooseneck is a no issue with taking up room in the truck bed....plus you can get the flip style. :usflag:

8. bobcat_ron

I have a pop up reverse King pin set up, I can still use the flat deck of my truck, I just step on the pin and it pops down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

be careful w/ the flip style, can get sand/dirt w/e in there and become in-operable very quickly,

10. bobcat_ron

I carry a bottle of brake cleaner with me, after every time I drop a dirty excavator bucket on there, I spray it out.