Gopher control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ewilson, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ewilson

ewilson LawnSite Member

Who has tried to kill pocket gophers? What works? Has anyone used Talpirid, Kaput, or the sonic/electronic devices? We are in South Central Texas and have an infestation and alot of tunnels, and are wondering what the most effective control is. Thanks!

2. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

rozol I use it for moles also works awesome!

3. a plus bob

from Indiana

forgot to say i get it from helena.ITS made for pocket gophers but works just as well for moles.I tried talprin with no luck plus they will melt and then are useless.have used it for years.

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Was doing a little research on the product you mentioned and came across this info:
    http://www.audubonofkansas.org/PrairieDogs/secondarypoison.html

Looks like a concern is that the deceased animal becomes food for another animal.
    Interesting..
    I will research further as we have big mole problems around here. The article does talk about control of prairie dogs but the concern would be the same.
    Comments from your experiences???

Thanks!!

5. a plus bob

from Indiana

never had any problems I dont do inside of fenced areas with dogs if they are left out all day.usually do three apps.7-10 days apart.$250 for 3 apps.sold in 5 gal buckets around 40-50.00.use less than5 lbs 3 treatments

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we buy from helena too, i will check into this product with my dad. the article he found was a small argument against it though. food for thought

7. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

gophers or golfers,havent you evr watched caddyshack,stick a water hose in the tunnels or use tnt

8. jjfurs

jjfurs LawnSite Member

best way to know you have killed the animal is to SEE it, with all poisons out there, it can't be guaranteed unless you can see a body, we trap moles and trapping gophers is the best solution, then you know they are dead.

9. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

10. sandwedgeking

sandwedgeking LawnSite Member

I've seen an assistant greenskeeper at a golf course try an array of methods, even C-4. Although it was all quite exciting, ultimately none of his techniques appeared to be effective.