Gopher still going strong

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tiedeman, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

:blob3:

Went and entered all my equipment in Gopher today and also setup a preventative maintenance schedule for each piece of equipment. This is so sweet!!! :cool2:

I also downloaded an invoice template from their website to make the invoices look really professional looking.

No complaints yet about the program. I am loving it! I will keep you guys updated more on the progress :waving:

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

You sure spend a lot of $$ on software.

:D

3. tiedeman

from earth

well, I got a refund from Qxpress, so that made me happy. Probably the only thing that disappointed me was the money that I spent into QB to update to Pro. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tried everything out longer, instead of jumping. But with me, if I want something, I jump on it...I don't wait.

Other than that I feel that it will actually save me money in the long run

4. tiedeman

from earth

ok boys and girls, now I am learning the Matrix function on Gopher. Pretty cool. I am setting up a Matrix for snow removal and salting right now. I like it. Sure, might take a while to enter the prices into the customer information, but after that it is so easy. Pretty cool!

5. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I downloaded the trial last year, and used it once for 10 minutes, now I tried to look at it again, and it won't let me. What do you like about gopher more than quickbooks?

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

what was wrong with q-express???? I just got it but havent gotten into it

7. tiedeman

from earth

ok, guys I will list in a non-bias way as best I can the pros and cons about both. I will list only the features that i had used or plan on using. For each program I offered 9 pros, and 7 cons to make it equal.

Pros of QB
    1. easy to learn, and use
    2. invoicing is simple
    3. recording of payments is very easy
    4. can accept credit cards
    5. adding customers is very user friendly
    6. adding services and items is easy
    7. can do your taxes right through Quickbooks
    8. they have friendly reminders about taxes and such
    9. faster entering invoices than in Gopher (this is talking about not having a service scheduled in advance though with Gopher)

Cons of QB
    1. You can't change the invoices, that much
    2. recording expenses is hard to learn, and difficult sometimes
    3. does not offer scheduling feature
    4. does not offer a matrix feature
    5. does not offer a preventative maintenance schedule
    6. does not ofer a chemical recording feature
    7. I still can not figure out job costing

Cons of Gopher
    1. adding information into customers can take some time
    2. scheduling is kind of tricky at first to learn
    3. can not process credit cards right through the program (unless I am missing something) this is the biggest thing that I have an issue with
    4. I still haven't featured out exactly how to schedule one service for multiply customers for fertilizer applications
    5. had trouble at first figuring out how to upload the customer list, but figured it out
    6. I have found that you can have error problems opening the program if InterBase is not open or running
    7. the billing feature is kind of tricky to learn at first

Pros of Gopher
    1. have multiple templates on their website you can download for invoices or other things
    2. has scheduling of services
    3. prices for everything, whether be the service, or item can be entered for each customer for quicker invoicing after completion of service
    4. can record equipment with repairs and preventative maintenance
    5. offers a chemical application area
    6. expenses are much simpler and easier to input
    7. has a bar code feature for using upload and scanning payments
    8. supposed to come out with a PDA unit this fall
    9. can unload your customer list from QB right into Gopher

Like I said before, I like both of these, but I wanted an all in one program, and Gopher offered this for me.

8. tiedeman

from earth

this is so sweet! I can't believe that I have never used this program before. I just entered all of my customers sq footage, and then all I have to do is setup up a price for sq footage for aeration, dethatching, fertilization. After that I when I setup up the service, whether it be aeration or fertilization, the price is already setup based on the customers property size (sq ft). AWESOME!!!!

I finished setting up the Matrix as well for snow removal and salting based on different snow removal heights. I setup the customers prices too, so all I have to do is check off the box once completed and it gets entered into an invoice. I love this!

My next thing that i am going to learn is how to setup a flat billing rate for customers. I am debating on whether to enter my income and expenses from the first of the year in Gopher or just keep the expenses in my spreadsheets that I already use and start entering expenses into Gopher next year (just for I won't have two things going on)

I will keep you guys updated.

9. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 LawnSite Member

I entered my expenses for the first part of the year and also all of last year. My Tax man loved the expense report I printed for him he said it made it easy for him.

10. tiedeman

from earth

Maybe I will do it this week. Then I don't have to worry about the spreadsheets or a seperate program anymore