Gopher Users PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ric3077, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first year using GOPHER software for my customer management. I like it but I have some questions...It seems to me you should be able to create an ESTIMATE before you create a CUSTOMER...I mean you can't get a new customer without an estimate...so why do I need to create a new customer THEN it will let me create an estimate...And what if I want to print the estimate sheet with just my Company name and the customers info, and the job description but leave the PRICE BLANK...cause I haven't dont the estimate yet...I want to bring that sheet walk around the home and then FILL IN THE $$$ AMOUNT...And what if I want to set a reminder IE "Call Pete Jones back 3/25/06 to follow up on estimate" I would think each customer or estimate should have that feature, am I missing it? Also under new service and area pricing...why isn't there a choice for "CUBIC YARD" for mulch and stone installs? PLEASE HELP TEAM GOPHER and LS MEMBERS using GOPHER!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! :hammerhead:

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I never really used the Estimate feature on mine, but I see what you're saying, it asks for the customer first. You could put them in as a customer, and mark them Inactive.

Have you called Gopher? They are always helpful.

3. Ric3077

Ya that's what I have been doing is marking them inactive...but just seems like you should be able to make an estimate without adding a customer...I posted this same post on the gopher site and haven't had any response yet...when I bought it they told me their was no phone support it was all in forums...:cry:

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can add to the materials list to add Cubic Yard, Go to Material - > Unit of Measure then hit the New button and you're golden.

5. Ric3077

right on thanks!

6. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

I have been using Gopher 1 1/2 years. It needs alot of improvement. They do not update or improve software often enough. The only reason I havent changed software is I already paid for it and I have a database of 120 Customers To much work to change this season, Maybe next year. They had a wishlist on the website I made a few suggestions So did others, then they removed wish list!

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

This is how I handle your "customer estimate" situation.

1. Customer calls....I get name, address and phone #. I create that customer without a customer ID # so I can schedule it on the schedule feature. I then set up a time to estimate the property. I take hand written notes while on the job site and price the job right then unless I have materials to factor in..then I will call them back with a price. I go back to the office and install my notes into the estimate feature with prices and job details. if customer hires you...you have your estimate on the program. No more second guessing what you quoted. When that customer hires me I assign them an ID #.

You can erase the prices.

In my Route Feature I created a Route called "Job Pricing" and "Contact". If I have a customer for an estimate on Friday..I use the "Job Pricing" Route to show that I have an estimate to do on Friday. If I am supposed to call that customer for any reason...I use the "Contact" route to schedule that call for any particular day.

This may sound complicated but is is really a no brainer way to make sure I don't forget anything or anyone. If I cant make an appointment time...I have the name & number right there on my daily work order sheet.

This is a picture of what my schedule looks like for next Monday. I have 2 estimates to do, 1 customer to call, 4 Stump jobs and a landscape install to do. This will give you a better Idea of how it works for me.....

Gopher Schedule.JPG

8. Ric3077

Great post! Great Ideas! I will try them! Also, like others I am now noticing that Gopher doesn't update enough...I hope they update some of these Ideas soon! Thanks everyone! :waving:

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Why not create a New Customer named... "Estimate" or anything,,,, John Doe Estimate. Then when you need to create an estimate just use that name and do the estimate and include the real name in the details or something similar.

10. Ric3077

Another good idea, thanks tinman!!