Gopher Vs. Quickbooks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ability, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I want to invest in software next season and have looked at both Gopher and Quickbooks.

Both look very professional.

However, I would like to know from those who have used them which they may prefer. Or, if you have only used one, what do you especially like or particularly don't like about the one that you used.

And, the Gopher rep is encourage to give a good pitch at to why his product is better.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use both.
    Gopher is for my scheduling, billing and tracking all MY customer information.

Quickbooks is for the accounting part of my business. My wife/secretary uses this program on a daily basis. Everything on this program goes to the tax man.

I know its probably overkill but the quickbooks learning curve is a little time consuming for me. (i'm a little slow upstairs)

If i had to choose just one it would be Gopher.

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hell, don't be ashamed.. it's a pain in the butt to learn when you don't have hours and hours a day to sit in front of it trying to learn it from the "help" files. My general opinion so far with QB is that it's way overpriced, and not really suited for the small business with say maybe no or only 1 or 2 employees. I mean come on, $199 a year just to get updated tax tables downloaded? Sheesh..

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use Quickbooks and love it. I just got Customer Manager 2.0 for it, an add on, and I love it even more now. I feel that sometimes it might be confusing, but after using it for a month you get a good feel for it.

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

6. John'sMaint

John'sMaint LawnSite Member

Gopher is the way to go. Used Q-Books before purchasing gopher four years ago. Scheduling/billing aspect is great. Very user friendly. Has saved me lot of office time.
    Still use Q-Books for the accounting end of the business. Down load Gopher and try it. Free for 30 days.

7. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I planned on trying the free download. It is always better to get real world advice from those who have used it.

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

ability, i dont know about you....... but those replies did not tell me which software is better. i completely agreee with o-so-n-so. i have a trial version of Quickbooks, and it looked very complicated. of course, i have not spend the time either.....

are there any other opinions on which one is better? i am also trying to change from MS Money business....which is very lame.

Team Gopher, give us your opinion. why should we go with you?

thanks