Gopher

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I downloaded the basic Gopher version...the 30 day trial. It seems adequate. Is the basic version good enough or are the upgraded versions worth the extra cheese? Also, do you HAVE to upgrade all the time and pay for the upgrades? Is there some sort of catch? Thanks peeps!

2. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I use Gopher Basic primarily for scheduling. I use Quickbooks Pro for accounting, etc. You can import and export between the two programs.

3. Grits

from Florida

The more I tinker around with Gopher, the more I like it. Do any of the versions allow you to include your logo on the invoice?

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can put your logo in. go to options -> billing then select logo

Gopher is great for startups for scheduling. It's what I started out with. However the best purchase decision I've made recently was Quickbooks. QB gives a much better look at the business. Gopher is great a scheduling though.

5. Grits

from Florida

OK...thanks. I don't have everything on it figured out yet:hammerhead:

I have been thinking about QB also. If there is a trial version, I will check it out. Is there more than one version of QB and which one do you prefer? And what is the cost? I believe I remember seeing it for substantially more than Gopher. $200 for Gopher is somewhat in my price range. Thanks!

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

QB has all sorts of upgrades and many business specific. I use the pro which is about the highest but I run a few different business with it. I also use Gopher to do the schedule and to track maintenance and lawncare. it is very good and will do most anything in this business. I downloaded the manual and printed it so i could work on it with the paper next to me. Pretty easy after you get going on it --and good help for staff

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

For those of you using quickbooks, which version are you using?

I'm using My Invoices to do billing, but want to track my income and expenses better, and give my accountant a couple sheets of paper each quarter instead of a whole stack of reciepts.

I'm seriously considering buying QB. Any cons you guys can think of?

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Pro--it is very detailed and professional---but that is also the con, there is a good size learning curve. I use the pro which has everything but I have an accountant for a wife which helps a lot. It is great for doing billing and keeping tract of every penny you spend and why. End of year I just copy to a disk and mail it to my accountant. Done. we never see paper after the recite is filed in the cabinet. I use it for landscape--handyman-- Building rehab and rentals as well as running my Real Estate business.

9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I use QB Pro for bookwork, and will be buying clip for the landscape and mowing, routing, etc.

Tim

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I use Gopher now, have used Clip in the past. Gopher is a great value...Clip is an awesome program but if you're primarily a mowing outfit it's a bit of overkill.