1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Old Ivy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Old Ivy

Old Ivy LawnSite Member

I have some real gopher problems with some construction on both sides of my property chasing them to me. I have 1 1/2 acres of lawn that is getting riddled with gopher mounds and holes. They have killed my sprikler system by chewing through the wiring, and I can't even find the control valves on some of the systems. It's a mess, and if anyone has a solution, I would be grateful.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There's Rodent Rid bait from Bell labs. Supposed to work well.
  3. Old Ivy

Old Ivy LawnSite Member

thanx, upidstay. I'll give it a shot.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

High powered pellet rifles are safe and very quiet. I prefer to use the lead-poisoning method for gophers and other vermin. I never like using poison as they might die in an area where another animal such as a dog or a cat could suffer secondary poisoning from the dead critter.
  5. Old Ivy

Old Ivy LawnSite Member

Just one problem with Rodent Rid. It is not sold to the general public of which I am a part. I do not have a company that is certified for this bait. Is there some way to get it without being a certified rodent control company? Anyone know?
  6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Pellet rifles will work well-GAMO is your best choice, If your nieghbors are not to close use a 22 rifle. This is what me and my dad have always done.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Yeah. Close neighbors make for a difficult time with firearms.

Their are some really really nice pellet rifles on the market. Even at 50-75 yards you can put the round right on target. I like them when I'm working close to the right of way or by the road. Also, the crack of a rifle will put the little suckers in their holes for a few hours but the whisper of a pellet-gun only makes them duck for a few moments.

Then again, high explosives almost worked for Bill Murray in Caddyshack. Just a few pounds of C4 and no more gophers.....then all you have to do is finish out the new "pond" that you decided to install in the crater. HAHAHA