Gophers ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Sam Grinold, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Sam Grinold

Sam Grinold LawnSite Member

I have had two customers call this week to tell me they have noticed small piles of dirt appearing in their lawns. They say these piles are about 6 inches high. I plan on checking this out tomorrow but it sounds like gophers to me Would they be active this time of year? If so how do you eliminate problem ? Thanks to anyone with help

2. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

Rent the movie caddyshack -- go after em like Bill Murray with plastic explosives. :D

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

These pile could also be moles. Yes they can be active at this time of year. The best way to tell the difference is the consistancy of the dirt in the pile if they are fresh and the size of the pile. A mole leaves a sort of chunky pile usually about 6 inches high and wide, while a gopher will leave a pile that is very well mixed, smooth in texture, and about a foot around. I am betting you have a mole.

After rereading this it almost sounds like the old Cheech and Chong thing about Dog!@#$. TASTE!!

Get some traps and catch the little bastages.