Gophers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ryan Lightning, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Whats the best thing to use to kill gophers?

What do you guys charge to poison gophers, when your already on the property, either mowing are applicating.
    Would it be a flat rate til you get rid of it, are would you keep charging a fee every time you bait, until you kill it? I have 3-4 cleints asking me to get rid of gophers, and Im tiered of them also!

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Ryan, since you've gotten no replys, I'll try to give you my 2 cents worth :)

First of all, I am an expert at nothing. However I will claim that I've had at least a 95% success rate with my gopher killing method.

Find the mound that has the freshest (moist) dirt. This is the most recent active tunnel. I remove the pile and then dig around with my bare fingers (probably not a good idea) and locate the opening to the tunnel. I widen the tunnel out just a bit so the trap will fit in it cleanly and then set this baby (see pic) about 1 ft INSIDE the opening. The line is attached so I can retrieve the thing if the gopher buries it in dirt or, if I don't get a clean kill, the varmint doesn't take my trap with him into oblivion. I set the trip as sensitive as I can, that's the middle "V" shaped plate and then place 5 or 10 poison peanuts on the string side of the trap for bait.

Once it's set I place a flat paving stone over it to keep light out and wrap the string up to anchor it down then sit back and wait.

Every gopher I have trapped this way has taken no more than 45 minute to 1 hour to get a kill. EVERYtime it was successful and that's almost ALL of the time.

Im my own yard, I've killed at least 20 gophers and missed maybe two or three at the most. The gopher will either die OR he will simply fill the tunnel up with dirt, packing your trap away.

I don't know what you call this trap. I bought it at a local Farm and Garden store for about 2 or 3 bucks. It's almost too simple.

As for what to charge I can't help you, sorry. I do know that I've been so Pi$$ed at these yard mauling Ba$tards that I would have given $20 a head for every dead one that someone could bring me. So you may be able to make some easy cash there depending on how frustrated your customer is LOL.

Good Luck!

gopher trap.jpg

3. Stewart

Stewart LawnSite Member

Just curious, which local farm and garden supply store did you get them at? As you can see I am just down the road and might have the same store here. I have tried the spike trap and they havn't worked well at all.

By the way, Boomer Sooner! :D

4. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Hey Stewart...

The store is called "The Country Store" at 7890 E. 11 St in Tulsa. I actually bought the traps for moles as suggested by the folks at this store but I just started using them for gophers and they worked like a charm.

BTW...Congrats to the Sooners. Man my memory goes back to the days of Mildren, Pruitt, The Selmon Bros, etc......and I don't think I've seen an OU team that was as strong as this one, ever.:)

5. Stewart

Stewart LawnSite Member

I have a few to get rid of so I will have to check around here. We have Atwoods and Tractor Supply close. It is too bad all the best teams are in the Big 12, they have to knock each other out of the BCS. Good luck to the Pokes!

:D

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have put down diazion in my own yard to kill the grubs they were after, gophers cleareds out.

7. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

My uncle had a huge gopher problem. He used rat poison pellets hidden in cheese or peanut butter. Almost like mice. He'd also just drop some pellets right in the fresher holes. He has no gopgher problems now. Its sad, but it seemed to work.

8. tryz

tryz LawnSite Member

i have used sulfur bombs with great sucsess, you just lite the thing thow it down the hole, and cover the hole up.

good luck

9. LawnGod

LawnGod LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help boys!I get the same annoying requests but it never seems that convenient or profitable to do it . now that i know how to do it how do i charge for it?