1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gorilla tailgate lift = scam!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jason Rose, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What a load of crap this product is! I bought the set last winter to *hopefully* take the weight off of my trailer gate. Before I had an EZ gate, which is a one sided setup, and it just didn't have enough umph to do the job. From all the ads I see the gorilla lift looked to do a better job with heavier gates since it's on both sides. Several LCO's around town have them as well, I guess I should have asked them first!

1. I have mine installed as the instructions said too, yet it does NOT take the weight off the gate as advertised. I ended up drilling 3 sets of holes in the sides of my gate, going progressively further up the side of the gate till I reached their "maximum" that have in the instructions. It's still a load to lift, and no way can you "flip it up with your foot".

2. The plastic or nylon rollers are a JOKE. Who the he!! thinks that those are a "good idea" to use with a braided steel cable under high tension running thru them at strong angles??? Needless to say, after only a few months one of my rollers stopped rolling and the cable soon sawed right thru it and the metal pin.

3. replacing the rollers... Lets see, they are cheapo nylon... I guessed maybe 2.5 to 3 bucks each, I'd just buy a set. NO. Just the roller is $7.95! The roller with the pin is $8.95 EACH! I don't even what to know how much they are going to charge me for shipping on top of that!!!

Oh, and I was told on the phone that they are SUPPOSED TO BE REPLACED EVERY YEAR! Actually MORE OFTEN if it's used a lot! :dizzy:

4. I have one cable (the same side that burned up the roller) that started fraying out in the middle of the cable, right above where it goes into the roller, about mid summer. I thought that maybe the frayed cable and the trashed roller were related, but the 2 never come in contact... (the frayed part dosn't pass thru the roller). I thought about telling her that on the phone, but I was still in shock over the price of the stupid rollers!

Come on people, get real... And they don't even have any alternative rollers, like aluminum or stainless ones that would actually LAST.

Anyone else been victims of this company??? I'd like to just have my old EZ gate back now! Unfortunately it was on my small trailer which was stolen this last fall! :angry:
  2. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

LCO here in town highly recommended the Elegator lift system. I bought one but havn't installed yet...ping me later I and I will tell you how it works.

3. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Our new trailer is a Masey sold at KC Trailer hitch and they are great guys. The lift they have is 2 small springs on the gate hinge itself. No stuff in the way on the rail and looks and works good. They also have the best deal on trailers in the KC area. We bought a loaded 6.5x12 for 1295. Like I say this thing was loaded for that money. I think the base unit is around 700 or so. I can get the number if you would need it.
  4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I would like that # please.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You should have made one yourself. I made mine for about $60, and I guarantee it is tougher than most on the market.
  6. Jason Rose

I wish I had explored other avenues for a gate lift myself... The springs are nice, but only really work for a trailer already built for them. My smaller 6.5x10 trailer has these springs (a PJ trailer) and it works pretty well. Drawback is the large gap that is required between the gate and the trailer deck because of the room the springs need. Almost had my foot in there several times!
  7. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

Do they have a website?
  8. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

No website that I know of anyway. This trailer is built different I guess as the gate is right against the trailer bed itself. If I knew how to post pictures I would. This puter and me sometimes have to have words :hammerhead:.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thats what I started with, one E-Z Gate. Then I added another and now I can flip the gate (5') up with my foot.
  10. Jason Rose

That was my original thought, to just add a second one... But ONE EZ-Gate was about $180, and a set of the Gorilla lift's was about $180... So I opted for the G.L., then I could put the EZ on the other trailer, a win-win for the same price, I thought...