goshen stone walkway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mybowtie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have installed several bluestone walkways over the yrs, but never worked w/goshen stone. Customer wants a 4' wide X 225' walkway. wants larger stone w/small joints. What is the proper way to cut goshen stone?
    Will scoring with a diamond blade work like it will on bluestone?
    Thanks for the info. Rob

2. hortiscape

hortiscape LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Having started my landscape company in Amherst Ma. in 1985 we have been using goshen stone for over 20 years.
    Even after moving the company to Vt. we still use alot of Goshen stone.
    Nice stuff.
    The owner is a great guy to buy stone from.
    You score the stone with a hammer and flip the stone over and break along the score line with a hand held sledge.
    Make sure you elevate the piece along the score line so it will break along the score line.
    The stone tends to flake rather than break clean like bluestone.
    After you break along the fissure crack you created you can smooth the break by hammering directly on the cuts face.
    You can use a grinder for the realy tight fit, but this takes some practice to be accurate.
    Also this will set a level of quality for the whole walkway, so if you plan on making all the edges meet and kiss one another you had better price this job accordingly because it is extremely labor intensive.
    Be sure you have good drainage, and this stone does have some variance in thickness so you need to use a deeper bedding layer.
    This is how we have always done it.
    This is not to say there are other ways.
    Good luck.

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Whew, thought i was outta luck askin this one. Hortiscape, thanks for the info. Kinda what i thought had to be done. Actually tryin to talk her into larger stepping stones. Thanks again. Rob