Got 1000 post cards. how should i mail them out?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnwizards, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

Should I send them out to 1000 different addresses or should I send them out at a certain number a couple of times? I was thinking 250 addresses 4 times. What do you all think? What produced the best results for you? Thanks.
  2. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I say start advertising a month before your season starts. I don't know where you live but where I live there is 3 ft of snow on the ground and -35C with the wind chill. So I won't be advertising for lawns anytime soon.:laugh:
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I think sending them in the mail is a good start!
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to send out cards myself this season. However, after looking at the cost of postage and the time to required to attach the address labels and stamps I though door hangers would be better. My plan was to mail twice to each household in a couple of the towns in my database (I bought the data from the county - every household with .2 to .75 acres). The cost would have been several thousand dollars which I just couldn't justify. So to answer your question I would do multiple mailings to each household.
  5. lawnwizards

thanks for the reply. the reason i asked is because i got a list of all the doctors in my area. around 250 of them. i wanted to know if it would be better for me to send to them 4 times or send them 1 and 750 other people 1.
  6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you willing to work cheap:drinkup:
  7. lawnwizards

the thing about it is i'm not a newbie. i've been on here since 2003. i've just never did postcards before. usually word of mouth does the trick. just thought i'd try something different this year.
  8. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

My suggestion is to be specific about your target audience and mail multiple times. Consumers need several opportunities to remember you. Shotgunning to anyone and everyone isn't very effective. Then I would suggest using door hangers instead of postcards. I've seen some lco's receive good responses from "clover leafing" door hangers. That is, hang door tags at each of your customers' neighbors.
  9. jnlenterprise

jnlenterprise LawnSite Member

We have almost exclusively targeted residental clientel with postcards and found it to be an effective marketing tool. I would send out 250 at first to see what response you get and from there decide when and how many go out the next time. For whatever reason say you get 10% response (which is way high) can you see everyone and prepare bids in a timely manner and can you handle whatever work load comes from it. I have done large qty. inserts and got more calls than you can reasonably handle, so you start to prequalify by area and type of project and blow off the rest, and thats not a good way to do biz. Typically we control our backlog based on mailers, less go out when backlog is more than three weeks.