got 3 new lawns today, cus i have a 32

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today i got 4 new lawns, 3 of them, were because i have a 32" mower. i was driving down a sidestreet, and another lawn guy flagged me down. he says, "hey, if u r interested, that lady in the house over there came over and asked me to cut the grass, but i can't get my 36" through the gate. " so i knocked, we talked, i got her, her nieghbor, and her mothers house which happens to be right on a street where i have 5 others. all these new ones at premium prices. why did i get them? i have a 32". the fronts are wide open and i bang em with the 48, but the back gates are small. i know "bigger is better", but remember, you must fit your environment, if small gates are an issue, don't turn it away, just have the equipment u need, and charge accordingly.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have bought a smaller used mower if I were the other guy! Especially if they are good accounts at premimum prices. Glad to hear you got some new business though and another lco was friendly enough to tell you about them.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I will always have to keep a 32, just the way it is around here. Exmark now has a 32 hydro though.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats kinda surprising, I usually can fit my 36 through most gates, go in at an angle,swing it to the other side, then swing it again....works for me every time.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The 32" is one of the best machine styles ever made, I love my 32", alot of my accounts have gated backyards, I shake at the thought of the days when I used a push mower to do backyards.
    The 32' has also saved my azz many times in tight spots and small alley ways.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

bobby,
    i dont think i know but....

what mowers do you have (brand/size)

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had a problem for a long time with people and gated backyards. I have a 48 inch wb that won't go through most of those gates. And I'm getting to old to push a freakin' 21 inch mower across big gated backyards. Real pita. I finally decided I couldn't give away those accounts anymore and found a 32 inch mower that fits through most of the gates. I picked up enough work in the first week I had it to pay for the mower and it's made my life much easier. I can't imagine doing without one in the future. Sure, the big cut decks are nice and faster out in the open. But having the right tools for the right job is just as important, and if your market requires a smaller mower you should have the right tool.

:D

PS THanks again a bunch Troy!!

8. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

Try the 34Z by Gravely. I love mine.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What brand 32" you guys have? Ive been thinking about getting one because Ive been getting a lot of these patio homes and a 32" would work great on them.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a used MTD 32 belt drive. Not sure they make 'em anymore. It was this or one of those Troybilt thingies, and I wasn't to big on those.