got a ??? about customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason_2005lawnman, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

i am wondering what to do about this situation; 95% of my customers are weekly, but i have a certain few that will just up and call and say my yard dont need mowed this week; we all know what that does to our schedual; now these customer that do this to me are long time customers but they are only about 45min lawns max; i am trying to stop this every other week problem but not sure what to do or how to go about doing it; i dont want to lose these yards but got to get them to understand from my point of view that i need to keep them on a weekly schedual; so what would you do; remember you like these customers and want to keep them; is that possible?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

more than likely not. if they've been getting their 2 week cut from you, what is their incentive to switch over to weekly service? you were giving them what they want, in my opinion, they are just going to find the next lawnboy starting out "in biz" that will give in to their other other week demands.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well if the problem is weekly or bi-weekly, how about putting them on a 10-day schedule? That's what I do, all my yards each have their own schedule based on the individual yard's growth pattern, so I have 7-8, 8-10, 10-12, 12-14, 15+ and so on. Doing this helps relieve a lot of frustration as the grass usually really needs cutting by the time I get out there...

The only time I won't stand for it is when the grass needs cutting and they keep postponing it and then it gets extra-tall and takes longer but they won't pay extra, that's bs.

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

HAHAHA!!! whos running the show there, u or the customers? Sounds like the customers are running YOUR buisness. You need to stop the "pay per mow" nonsence and put everyone on a SEASONAL contract to insure you GET PAID when conditions are not the greatest, example= drought, excessive heat, etc. THIS IS HOW YOU WILL MAKE MONEY

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is a big business for bi-weely customers and we handle them. We are insisting that all people go on a 12 month contract and once they are on contract nobody calls and says don't mow this week.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You want to keep them, why? They sound like pains in the azzes

7. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

well they are people ive had before i even went full time; i started when i was 12 years old; and they are some of the people that have stuck with me over the years; so as i have growed and been doing this full time now for the last 4 years; i was just trying to see what everybody else thought; but ill probably just leave them alone and go on; just keep them happy;

8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I'm confused

9. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I also handle the bi-weekly customer. They pay more per cut because there yards take longer. For example ... if I would charge $45 per week then there yard would be $55 or $60 if it is cut bi-weekly. To me this is still a customer service industry. I try to give the customer what they want as long as they are willing to pay a fair price for it.