Got a bad check last week, what next?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Moonlight, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

What do you guys do if you get a bad check? Typically a good paying customer, he usually pays in about 7 days. He has paid several big invoices. I called him and he said it was a bank mistake and he would fedex another check. Another week, no check. Now, he won't return my calls. I can't afford to let it just sit.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

If he doesnt honor his check in 14 day, you can sue for tripple amount. But if he a good customer, u mite want to try the diplomatic approach.

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

call him and see if it was a mistake. sometime he might have send the check from an account that he just closed, not realizing it.

sometimes if you are understanding, they really appreciate it. if it happens again, contact a debt collection agency. there is lot's of info on here about that. bobby ged is a master at that.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Go to his bank and ask about his account. They will tell you if it is active or closed. Any teller can check to see if he has a ballance to cover it. If he does just cash it or keep asking his bank until he does have a ballance. Its a pain in the butt for the extra trouble but you side step dealing with him and the exceauses.

Gene

5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I know of a solution that I and others have used. Go to his bank if possible, find out how much his account is short for your check and if it is reasonable, make a deposit into his account so that you can cash your check. Of course the numbers would have to be right, but if someone owed me $1000 and there account was short $100, I would rather have the $900 and go after my $100! There is no law about making a deposit into someone elses account, just write on the back "for deposit only". It works, I have done it.
    David

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

There can be mistakes outside his control.

If it had a domino effect, he may be so busy trying to bandage the situation until it's fixed, I could understand why he might not return calls.

It really depends on if it was a real mistake outside his cause and if he's working on it diligently.

Hopefully you are not out your own cash on this.

I never buy materials until a check clears.

Of course, final payment is different. I've had a customer say a check was sent and all evidence was gone except their record they paid. They probably sent it, I did not get it, they can't find it, it was not cashed. It takes at least several days to fix that kind of thing.

7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

dave, that's pretty smart....i would have never thought of it. i have to remember it. thanks

8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

knock on his door several times at 8:55pm.

most municipalities don't consider it a nuisance until after 9 pm.

9. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

check these guys out they seem to work really well and get the point across as well.
    http://www.olddebts.com/ not to mention getting you your money at an affordable cost.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I think its against the law to write bad checks. Check your local laws and then send him a certified letter stating you will turn it over to the police if its not covered immediatly.
    By not returning your calls he is treating you like just another bill collector. He may be just waiting until he can get the money in the bank and deosnt want to admit he doesnt have the money.
    I would waite 30 days with a good customer before I started playing hardball. BUt you might want to check with the police to see if you can waite 30 days to file charges on bad check writing