Got a bad feeling in my gut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Apr 9, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new account through a recommendation this year.

The lady : Older widow, very nice. talked with her about 30 minutes about landscaping ans well as people we both know, her last house, etc.

Her son who controls the money : Had 10 revisions to my informal style contract. I realize that a contract is legal and binding, but he even made corrections to my introduction letter . I state what work will be done throughout the season, and the total amount charged each month for the selected services. It turns out this guy is a corporate contract lawyer and wants everything in his favor. He even made mention of the statement "additional work requested will be billed at the end of each month" and wanted it removed. Also wanted to change "cutting every 7-10 days as necessary" to "every 7 days". Now what if it rains ? (Don't get hung up on the contract here guys and girls--I have had 0 complaints about it and if it is too formal I feel it will scare my customers off)
    The woman called me back and said she straightened it all out with her son and go ahead and do the cleanup and chem.

I have a bad feeling about this since the son controls the money and apparently feels he will control me as well. I think I am not going to accept the job, but should I tell her why ? (by saying I just think this would not work out).

Since this is a recommendation I am putting some additional thought into what action to taketo try and remain neutral to all parties involved.

Any opinions ?

jeffyr

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Simply don't change your contract or letter. If he does not like it then you easily get what you want. I would avoid this at all cost, just imagine what he will do if you break something!

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

Unless I needed the money, I'd step back from this contract. The first mistake or incident, sunny boy will be on you like a cheap suit. If he's a contract lawyer, it would appar to me that he understood the intent and scope your contract and his corrections were not necessary. I work with lots of lawyers and while most of them are good people, there are some that sit and wait for a mistake to be made. Remember, a lawyer nevers asks a question unless he already knows the answer.

4. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Go back and have them sign the ORIGINAL contract. You maight want to get a deposit. They are going to shaft you.

Classic case of Good Customer Bad Customer.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Kirby,
    I think you are familiar with my contract page (I had sent it to you) since I borrowed parts from you in Feb.

This was a last minute customer add on that I think I will pass on.

I just needed to make sure I wasn't looking at this one with blinders on.

jeffyr

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from lawyers(that seem fishy). Every bad debt I have had has been from a lawyer. I guess they think/know they can get out of paying you. Mine still get hit by the collection agency every month. At least I know I bug them once a month.

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS GUY!!!! Rule of thumb is don't ever work for Doctors, Lawyers or clergymen, note nessearily in that order.

8. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

This guy is nuts...

I agree with the others...

RUN!

Mark

9. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

I had a lawyer customer complain about my contracts. Apparently i hit the undo button on MS Word and left a part of the contract in there from one I used for computer work. It stated something that both parties were in the business of creating or running websites. He was like... what the hell is this???? So I created a new contract and this thing looks nice. It is legally binding (my lawyer said so) and covers everything regarding payments and length of services. If anyone would like me to post a copy on my website I can.

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Jeff, go for it, you never know mine may need improvements!