1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a call from the BBB today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Nov 5, 2004.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

So I get home at about noon today and there are messages on the answering machine (aren't there always?). One of the messages was Kevin from the Better Business Bureau. He says "I need to speak with the owner of the business" and to call him back at such and such #. So I try to call him back right away and wouldn't you know it he is at lunch and they say he will be back in an hour. Now, me being a worry wart, pace back and forth for the next 45 minutes wondering who in the he!! turned me in to the BBB. 45 minutes pass and the phone starts ringing again and its the BBB. I answer and he goes through this spiel about how he is calling me on a "positive note" and that since I have had no complaints filled against me he was "inviting me" to be a member of the BBB. After his 2 minute spiel I ask him if there is a fee associated with being a member. Then he starts in about how the BBB has been funded by outstanding business across the country for so many years. By now I was pretty p!ssed off and I politely told him I did't want to give them any money and I was doing just fine without them. The kicker of this whole thing is that my phone # is on the "no call" list for solicitors. Is the BBB exempt from this list? Now who do I call to complain about the BBB calling to solicit when they're not supposed to? What a joke.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Business phone lines or numbers are excempt from the Do Not Call list as I understand it. Also because the BBB is a Not For Profit Company they would be excempt anyway. The BBB is also a huge waste and nothing more than a "feel good" company. I mean who even cares if someone files a complaint, cause think about it, when was the last time you called a BBB to check on a company before you bought something from that company? I think the National stats the last time I saw them were something like less than 25% of the entire US had ever even used the BBB and less then like 35% of all businesses were members.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was a member of the BBB for one year...what a waste of money. Guy came to the house sold me on the idea, the benefits, the use of their logo(yeah right), etc. But they wouldn't let me use their logo on my website for promotion, I had to pay an addition fee for their "special web logo."

So when it came time to renew again I was very blunt with them and told them that what they do is a scam and I should be turning them in.
  4. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

They call us every year, trying to tell us they are "cond=cerned" about a phone call thay got and so forth but the whole thing is just a sales pitch from the get go. If you belong to the BBB you just give people a place to go and complain--thats the last thing we all need!

If you want business exposure, try your local neighborhood association, local parks board, the very professional BNI groups, etc.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sounds pretty cheesy to me. I've never called to check up on a business and hardly ever see contractors with their logo. Maybe we should call the BBB and list a complaint about the BBB!!! :p :p
  6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

LB stole my thunder....Go to their website and file a complaint agains them. I'd do it in a heart beat, just to see what happens...

Actually, i have filed complaints with them regarding purchases i have made in the past. Unfortunately, i check out the companies AFTER there is a problem.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Just curious, what do they charge a year for a membership?
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think it was around $275 to $300
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think we pay about 360.00 a year. I feel it's a waste of money, but we write it off. We do get a few calls a year from being a member, but I think I may just dump them.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I got one of those calls from the BBB last year. The guy said someone had seen my truck and called them to check my background, but they had no record of me. "Only" $300 to join! I said no thanks, the guy starts pushing me. I'm like, am I supposed to spend $300 a year for the very occasional person that inquires about me? I can better spend that on a trimmer or flyers or a nice night out with the wife.