Got A Call From USPS About My Fliers On The Mail Box

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Wil22, May 27, 2005.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

Just got a call from US Government and he left a message about me leaving my fliers on the mail box. He said " A letter carrier took all of your fliers off of the mail boxes." He continued and said " You cannot put fliers on a mail box in any way. It is illegal. Please stop doing this. Feel free to call me if you want, thanks."

He got my attention and I thought I'd pass it on. By the way all of my fliers was on or below the mailbox not inside.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter. Period
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

It may be a competitor doing that also............. Ive been known to be the local postmaster back in the day....
  4. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

What do you mean doesn't matter period? So you can't hook them to the mailbox? As long as they are in the door, or on the door, just not on the mailbox somehow they are okay? What is the correct way to do it?
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Mailboxes are for mail, newspaper boxes are for............... :)
  6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Put them in the newspaper slot if they have one. Otherwise, it is a federal law not to tamper with mailboxes. This being, you are getting away with not paying postage. So for future reference, stay away from the mailbox. Put it in the newspaper slot if you must but dont use the mailbox. Im sure you dont want that fine coming your way. Hell, walk the extra 50 feet and put it on there door.
  7. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

regualtions says:

1.3Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

Find it at
  8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that Door Hangers work better than fliers anyways. And if they're hung on the door, they have nothing to do with the mail.

Often fliers are just thrown out with the other junk mail, But the door hanger is actually read (then thrown out).
  9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i know this is going to sound kinda stupid, but what about putting a stamp on it and then putting it in the box this legal?
    its quicker than writing all the addresses down on the postcards, and its cheaper than paying a company to give you a mailing list.
  10. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

but thats dumb. just put it in the door.