1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a call today from a subdivision!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bruces, Aug 22, 2002.

1. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call today from a lady asking if I servced subdivisions.

I asked if she meant the common area. She said no the subdivision, all of the homes.

I am part time solo, so I thought this could be a big break.

How many homes, just 206. She said they were small yards.\

I told her that I wasn't set up to handle account that large, but just for curiousity asked more questions.

They are changing in the middle of the season.

It is an annual contract for mowing, shrub trimming, and applications but they aren't happy with current LCO.

I said how much are you paying per cut, and she said $1,600.

Do the math, that is $7.77 per unit, with nothing for the common areas. No wonder the current LCO is doing a poor job. They probably looked at $1,600 per cut and thought they were making a lot of money.

Appears to be another example of someone who has no idea what it cost to be in business and make a decent profit.
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tend to agree with your view point.

I also think this probably a Home Owners Association. Pros and cons with that. A good thing is that you get one check for the whole joint. A bad thing is that even tho you don't deal with each owner personally they will all think they can get you to do this or that.

One huge plus to a joint like this, you can mow a lot of grass and the truck sits in one place. I found with my biz that when the truck was driving around I was not making any money. Only when the mowers or trimmer were running was money being made. To me that is a large plus for a HOA. Less truck time = more $$.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, start plugging numbers in. I tried $35 for each lawn and got $7,210 a cut :eek: That's some serious bread. I'd go for it. Even if you bid like 20 bucks a unit, which is kinda low, but I don't know size, etc., that's $4,120. I think that business is knocking at the door and you need to answer it!
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

You just cannot figure on the X amount per unit. I've done the exact same thing on some HOA and comercial properties over the last few years and I have been THOUSANDS over the winning bid.

Were my bids fair? You bet. I wouldn't have wanted to mow for less. But you sure feel like an idiot when you call the manager and they tell you they are paying for the whole season what you were going to charge for 1 month.

By no means should you sell yourself short to get the job, but don't plan on getting it for a considerably higher price. It ain't gonna happen.:) ... but who knows maybe this is that one magic account...
  5. mountain air

mountain air LawnSite Member
    from alberta

you couldn't do it fir less than $16.00 per unit 5 units per hour with two guys i do it every week not for $16.00 but it could be done 5x16=80 per hour providing that they are front and back together only 800sqf ........................or maybe im out to lunch
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I see a lot of developements popping up on "private" roads. That's a clear sign of a HOA and most of the roads are not on the map because they aren't maintained by the city. They are all clustered together really tight with a lot of contoured landscaping. The actual mowing in the places I've seen wouldn't take long at all, but there's a lot of landscaping to take into account. I know of an appartment complex that pays more than that per week. Wonder what a fair price for your subdivision would be? I'd like to be able to follow up on this one because it's got a lot of questions that a lot of us ask or wonder about. If you find out the details after they get someone new, post it for us.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I've had a couple of HOA's approach me trying to hit $4 per lawn. They even expected fert and weed control to be included:dizzy: When I explained why I wasn't interested, they bumped it to $4.50 There are some good ones out there, It's another area where all of us need to walk away to bring up the price. Problem is, they probably find people who think they can make it work. Then eventually find out otherwise. Good luck.
  8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow!! $4.50 per lawn!! What a deal!! The sad thing is they may have found some fool for that price. JD
  9. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

They probably did! How could you possible stay in bussiness for that! even a five yards an hour that would be $20!!!!!!!

Where do these people get these numbers?!
  10. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

have you looked at the property? this is a typical bid around metro detroit for condo's and such. before you say man 5 bucks a lawn think how it's set up. if it's like a condo unit 206 is a cake walk. it's a 10 hour day, if that. but if it's 5k a lawn times 206 then someone needs to drop the stem.