1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got a call today.. Slices in my siding...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsplus, May 16, 2006.

1. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

So I got a call today, this is a good customer witha brand new house, they are saying they have small slits in the bottom course of siding all the way around the house :(

I am gussing it was a line trimmer, makes sense anyway.

So I will have to replace it, any suggestions? Should I do it myself, hire someone??

What about matching the color? the siding has been up for like 6 months I dont think it would have faded too much by now but who knows...

I know I am not the first one to deal with this issue.

What are your experiences?
  2. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare LawnSite Member

hey we ran into this problem with snow removal. we did it ourselves, popped the pieces off and took it to a local building store and they matched it. it took two of us but we were able to get the new peice of siding back in. worked well.
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

is there anything that looks like siding but is more resistant to a trimmer?
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

My experience is that siding takes a lot of abuse from a line trimmer before yielding. I run .105 line and have had employees run the thing full blast against the siding without damaging it. Then I disabuse them of that technique, but still. My guess would be that the installer did something wrong or it is really cheap siding or you aren't the cause.

You won't know until you get there.

replacing isn't difficult. Just do a search on the internet and watch a video.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

"New" siding being cut by a line trimmer? No way - like said above, must be REAL cheap siding. :usflag:
  6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have cut siding pretty easily with my redmax trimmer. Just hardly tapped against it and saw the slice :hammerhead:
  7. lawnsplus

Deffinately cheap siding, but should I replace it or should I hire someone it appears it will be 2 corner pieces, and 4 12.5 foot lengths..

Someone is losing there job I swear...
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how thick siding you guys are talking about that doens't break but any siding we've hit with the trimmers have chipped pieces off. We usually just squeeze the triggers lightly when going along siding. It is rather easy to fix most siding, especially when it's a piece on the bottom. Now if it were about halfway up the wall, then you'd be in trouble.
  9. lawnsplus

The siding itself I can replace, but the corners are more difficult, as you need to remove all of the siding that buts up to that corner, on both sides as this is installed first under the siding...

This stinks...
  10. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

What kind of siding is that? Ive never seen outside corners underneath the siding.